USAA chances?

tag
wonderandawe
Valued Member

Re: USAA chances?

@Leadberry wrote:

@wonderandawe wrote:

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

I'm sure many many people think secured cards are great but I am not going to give a bank my money, pay interest ony my money to build my credit. 

I thought the same thing about four years ago. I got some secure card apps in the mail and said "What a racket!" and added my self to the opt-out list.  

However, it is very difficult to get credit of any kind with out secure cards, if you have a poor history.  I assumed it was my income holding me back.  Nope it was like lack of revolving credit.  

No one thinks that secure cards are great.  I see them as a burnt offering to the banking gods to allow me to get a car/home loan in the future.  Because that is what you are doing; burning money.

It seems like you managed to get some non secure cards.  I'd stick with those for 6 months to a year and then try applying again.  

US Bank offers a secured card that has no AF and whose associated savings account earns a little interest--no money burned.  Smiley Tongue

Unfortunately, I got a Capital One Secure Card last May before I discovered these forums.  I PIF each month, so they got the annual fee and card swipes from me so far!

myFICO Equifax - 675 (June 2013)
myFICO TransUnion - 700! (June 2013)
Credit Karma - 682 (June 2013)
Starting Score - 603 (December 2012)

In the garden since 6/7/2013
Message 21 of 89
p-
Valued Contributor

wonderandawe wrote:  Unfortunately, I got a Capital One Secure Card last May before I discovered these forums.  I PIF each month, so they got the annual fee and card swipes from me so far!

When you hit twelve months, go hard at Cap1 to unsecure, or PC to an unsecured.  If the reps won't hook you up use the EO.  If you have an usage pattern where you use it a lot and PIF each month, they will see you as a favorable risk.

Message 22 of 89
p-
Valued Contributor

2FixMyCredit wrote:  Please - do not start talking about secured cards

Lol that this thread is now 90% about secured cards.  That's about as derailed as it gets.

Message 23 of 89
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@p- wrote:

Lol that this thread is now 90% about secured cards.  That's about as derailed as it gets.

lmao

FICO Scores 800+
Message 24 of 89
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Yesterday I checked myfico scores, EQ was 544 and TU 600. Last week my EX from my CU was 581. So I'm worse off than you. Anyway, I only have one secured card from cap one that I've had about 9 months. In Sept I did the prequalifier on their website and got approved for an unsecured $500 card. That same time I.joined nfcu and got an unsecured $500 card . Yesterday I got an increase to $1000 from nfcu and I got $500 credit line at a local furniture store that reports to credit bureaus also. So, maybe usaa is too strict, but you would.probably get approved with nfcu.
Message 25 of 89
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

And try the prequalifier on cap one website, it will tell you if you would get approved for anything without hurting your credit.
Message 26 of 89
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@p- wrote:

lmao

With a 580 score, chances for any decent unsecured credit card are ZERO.   There is only one reasonable direction for the thread to go.  Maybe its not what the OP wanted to hear, but secured is not really derailed, its on the right track to success in the world of credit.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 27 of 89
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I have to disagree about that. Like I said, my scores are and were worse than his and I've been approved for two unsecured credit cards. Small $500limits but better than nothing.
Message 28 of 89
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

LOL @ wanting help with how to fix credit and a name like 2FixMyCredit and then not taking the easiest route - secured credit cards.

Good luck with your rebuild buddy.

Message 29 of 89
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@jdirilo wrote:
I have to disagree about that. Like I said, my scores are and were worse than his and I've been approved for two unsecured credit cards. Small $500limits but better than nothing.

You did it after having a secured card reporting.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 30 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.