Did you mean: 

USAA chances?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA chances?

@DaveSignal wrote:

@jdirilo wrote:
I have to disagree about that. Like I said, my scores are and were worse than his and I've been approved for two unsecured credit cards. Small $500limits but better than nothing.

You did it after having a secured card reporting.

Message 31 of 89
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

No it hadn't reported yet, I got the secured card and within that same month applied for the nfcu nrewards and did the prequalifier for cap one. And after those cards I got a secured wf card, but ended up closing it a month later. I'm not trying to say I am some magical credit genius. I have a long way to go and still have a lot to learn. But I just wanted to share my story with the OP so they know that they have a chance.
Message 32 of 89
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

ok, sorry.  I guess NFCU is definately the best option then.

And Capital One, if OP can get one without many fees.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 33 of 89
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

@Anonymous @ wanting help with how to fix credit and a name like 2FixMyCredit and then not taking the easiest route - secured credit cards.

Good luck with your rebuild buddy.

You just showed your true intelligence, or lack there of.  To me I don't care what is the easiest route.  If you would have used the few brain cells you have left and actually read the thread you would see the following:

I was approved for a Bank Americard with 0% interested and no annual fee.

I was approved for Fingerhut.

I have Aaron's reporting.

That is, as already stated; a store card, a revovling account and an installment account.  I currently have no need for a secured card and will not ever get one.  Ever.  If someone else wants to pay interest on their own money wants or NEEDS to do so to build credit them so be it, but I do not, thanks to the advice of the few greats on here I've avoided that.

With a 580 score, chances for any decent unsecured credit card are ZERO.

Not true, as above I did get approved for a fairly decent card with such a low score.

even the low down FHA requires 3% down plus closing costs, so you really need to have a savings plan.

I do have a savings plan, ( I would hope that most people do!) I have funds in savings that are absolutely only for a home.  But I have also gotten pre-approval for USDA, the funds in savings would cover an additional costs to move.  Not for a ton secured cards, that may or may not graduate and you may or may not get your money back when you want.

Now with that being said.  Please do stop promoting secured cards to me.  I totally get that many of you think they are great and seem to think, for some odd reason that it is my only chance of improving my scores.  I think differently.  At this point it is a matter of gardening, getting utilization to report right and waiting for inquiries to fall of for my reports. 

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 34 of 89
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

not to be a jerk but you talk about not wantin the bank to earn your interest,  but you are paying aarons outrageous interest? 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 35 of 89
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Well if you are eligible to be an nfcu member, again..I recommend trying them. They are great for rebuilders! I hate secured cards too, I want to ditch the cap one but its the one I've had open longest(although only by a month!) Maybe once I hit my dream scores ill ditch it and take the hit on my AAoA. Good luck to you.
Message 36 of 89
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Why would someone come to this forum and ask for advice and then be SOOOOOOO defensive when people who have been successful at rebuilding gives them very solid advice??

I would like to be supportive....but at this point I have nothing positive to say.

Best of luck!!

*8/10/13
Message 37 of 89
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Not taking sides here, but he's probably just frustrated that the first thing he said was not to bother suggesting secured cards, and that all that anyone talked about! Whether he takes anyone's advice is his choice, but all we can do is give our opinion and wish others the best!
Message 38 of 89
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 39 of 89
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

Why would someone come to this forum and ask for advice and then be SOOOOOOO defensive when people who have been successful at rebuilding gives them very solid advice??

I would like to be supportive....but at this point I have nothing positive to say.

Best of luck!!

Read the first post.  I asked if I had a chance with USAA, I didn't ask how to build my credit as I have already figured that out.  And most of you have done nothing but push secured cards down my throat when I have said from the beginning of this post I had no interest in them. 

not to be a jerk but you talk about not wantin the bank to earn your interest,  but you are paying aarons outrageous interest?

Aarons was started almost two years ago when I wasn't credit wise, I might as well finish paying them off or else that is a huge waste of money for me.

Not taking sides here, but he's probably just frustrated that the first thing he said was not to bother suggesting secured cards, and that all that anyone talked about! Whether he takes anyone's advice is his choice, but all we can do is give our opinion and wish others the best!

Yes, that is exactly my problem right now!  I am not trying to be rude but nearly ever post I put on here all I hear is the constant "you have no choice but get a secured card" over and over again, when that is not my only option, or an option for me at all.  Atleast you figured out why I'm so irritated with this thread LOL!

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 40 of 89
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.