cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA closed the wrong credit card account!!

tag
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

USAA closed the wrong credit card account!!

I have two USAA MasterCards, one is a World MasterCard and the other is a Platinum MasterCard.  I called the other day to close the World card since I just paid it off and it was at a $0 balance and the interest rate on the World card is higher than the Platinum.  I log in to my USAA account today to find that the available credit on my Platinum account is $0.00!!!  What is even worse is I owe a balance of $356 on this card!

Frantic, I called after hours and spoke to someone who confirmed that it was the Platinum MasterCard that was closed and not the World card like I had originally requested.  I told her that I made it very clear to the representative that I spoke to that I did indeed want the World card closed and NOT the Platinum card.  I was told that I should call back first thing Monday morning but she told me that she cannot guarantee anything because she said that normally once an account is closed, it's gone forever.  Is this true?!?

I find it hard to believe that USAA cannot re-open this account because it was THEIR mistake...NOT MINE!!!  Also, if this account is fully closed then once it reports to the bureaus as a closed account with a balance remaining...won't that mess up my credit score?!?

All I can say is that if USAA doesn't fix this, they may as well close all of my accounts together and mail me a check for the funds that I have in savings with them as I will be leaving and will never give them any business again.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA closed the wrong credit card account!!

Normally lenders will not open a closed account, but they will do it sometimes when you call promptly after closure and it is a mistake. This would certainly qualify, but I don't have any direct experience with USAA. Definitely follow up with them.

As for having the card report a balance, check the closing credit cards sticky. IIRC since it is reporting 0 for the CL it is not considered in utilization. However, if I am misremembering and it is being considered, it would have a negative effect because you are over limit. But the good thing is it is a small balance. Once it is paid off, even if it is hurting you, it will all go back to normal. In other words, there is no lingering effect from having previously been over limit. In any event, I don't think is is scored since it is t reporting a CL.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

That should say not reporting a CL. Don't know how to edit my comments from iPhone.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Judging from my experience with USAA, skip the reps qnd go straight to a supervisor. They can be very rude and blunt.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 5
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

I am just so frustrated!  They closed what I consider my "true credit card"...and what I mean by that is when I know I specifically have to charge something and carry a balance (something unexpected), I put it on my USAA Platinum and the reason why is because out of all of my cards, that one has the lowest APR.  For all of my other cards, I do use them...but I pay in full when the statement comes in.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.