cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA credit cards no longer available to partial members?

tag
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Re: USAA credit cards no longer available to partial members?

[QUOTE]UncleB, you have no excuse for not being a full member.  Get your father's log-in info and sign him up for some personal property insurance for $50/year. Smiley Tongue[/QUOTE]

That is what I had to do 

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 31 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@darkfrosty wrote:

[QUOTE]UncleB, you have no excuse for not being a full member.  Get your father's log-in info and sign him up for some personal property insurance for $50/year. Smiley Tongue[/QUOTE]

That is what I had to do 

Yeah, I'll have to as well, but there will be a little more to it... apparently there was an 'incident' a few years back and Dad now has to use the USAA mobile site.

I'll leave it at that. 

The process works the same (basically) but the only insurance available on that site is car insurance.  They have an old vehicle that doesn't run (and isn't insured) so I could insure it for a month, but the last time I got a quote it was going to be around $70 for the cheapest policy for a month.  That's a high price to pay just to be able to get my own insurance quote (that might not even be competitive anyway), so I'll likely put it off until the last possible moment (again, my rate with State Farm is truly exceptional at the moment... another long story).

Sometimes I yearn for simplicity... (and no, not the Citi card)

Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

There generally are better cards out there for most.  The main benefit for USAA credit cards IMO is if you're banking with them.  Their cash advances post directly to your account, rather similar to a CLOC.  Also, if you're on a military base or shop frequently at one, the 5% Amex is solid.  Their secured card is the only secured that offers an interest bearing CD.  While it must stay open for 2 years AND it never graduates, at least it's interest bearing.  Money made is money made when you're rebuilding!  As for deployment, many major banks offer 0% APR while deployed, so I don't understand the beneft of 4%.

Both my parents are 20+yrs retired Air Force with my Ma having their insurance and banking.  I got lucky.  Thanks Mom.  Again, I just float it around as my dowry for marriage. Smiley LOL

And to the multitude of posts I've seen  as of late with American Express confusion:

American Express is a bank AND a network.  If the card is from Centurion Bank, it's a true AmEx.  If it's from ANY other source, it's AmEx Network. No link to the AmEx "perks" at all.

I have the unsecured rebuilder, AmEx Classic, opened August 2015.  Given auto cli 6 months after opening with auto pay and quarter annually direct charges.

Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have an AmEx, and I live in a city where there is no need to drive, so that cancels out insurance/gas. I was recently considering moving my investments back to USAA, even though their brokerage features aren't that great, because I like the convenience of having my bank and brokerage in one place. And yeah, the main appeals of their credit cards for me are: 1) no foreign transaction fee 2) low interest rates 3) the no fee cash advance straight into my checking. So I was prepared to go all in with USAA for all my banking needs.

As UncleB said, they have no reason to restrict further access to members that are grandfathered in. I get why they want to focus their efforts on only serving full members, but many of us have been with USAA for years and are loyal. Me since 2010. I had no desire to bank anywhere else.

The benefits I get at USAA can be duplicated at a few other banks, but I stay with USAA because I like their customer service and what they offer in general. I just might have to rethink going all in with them if they are now restricting my access to their credit cards.

Still waiting to hear back, probably not until tomorrow.

Message 34 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand and fingers crossed for you. Smiley Happy  

In the financial world, it's just buisness not personal irregardless of tenure.

Message 35 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

There generally are better cards out there for most.  The main benefit for USAA credit cards IMO is if you're banking with them.  Their cash advances post directly to your account, rather similar to a CLOC.  Also, if you're on a military base or shop frequently at one, the 5% Amex is solid.  Their secured card is the only secured that offers an interest bearing CD.  While it must stay open for 2 years AND it never graduates, at least it's interest bearing.  Money made is money made when you're rebuilding!  As for deployment, many major banks offer 0% APR while deployed, so I don't understand the beneft of 4%.

Both my parents are 20+yrs retired Air Force with my Ma having their insurance and banking.  I got lucky.  Thanks Mom.  Again, I just float it around as my dowry for marriage. Smiley LOL

And to the multitude of posts I've seen  as of late with American Express confusion:

American Express is a bank AND a network.  If the card is from Centurion Bank, it's a true AmEx.  If it's from ANY other source, it's AmEx Network. No link to the AmEx "perks" at all.

I have the unsecured rebuilder, AmEx Classic, opened August 2015.  Given auto cli 6 months after opening with auto pay and quarter annually direct charges.

+1 my friend... I was actually going to see about getting the USAA secured card myself when they sent me an 'offer' for their Cash Rewards Visa... I was truly floored that they would approve me (it was my first 'big boy' card), but they did and I've done my best to treat them well (and vice-versa).  Smiley Very Happy

I'll just add one thing... if you have a USAA Amex card you don't get any of the perks of a Centurion Bank card but there is one exception... Amex Offers. 

You can link a non-Centurion Bank Amex using Twitter or Facebook, and you'll still be able to take advantage of the Amex Offer regardless of the bank behind the card.  Unlike a 'Centurion' Amex you'll have to use the Twitter or Facebook link, though, since (obviously) USAA, FNBO, Wells Fargo, etc. won't be placing the offers on your online account with them.

For a military person who lives near a base and gets good use of the USAA Rewards Amex, adding the occasional Amex Offer could be icing on the cake!  Smiley Very Happy

Here's the info from their site I saved a little while back:

amexofferall.jpg

Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, we have our answer...

I was given a standard answer by USAA in their e-mail response that didn't help me, so I called them up...and as of June 25th, only full members are eligible for their credit cards.

Message 37 of 44
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was given a standard answer by USAA in their e-mail response that didn't help me, so I called them up...and as of June 25th, only full members are eligible for their credit cards.

Well, that sucks.  Smiley Frustrated

I guess I can forget about any future card #2 with them, then.

(Oddly, I checked just now and I'm still able to apply - it even prefills my info - but I'm sure they will 'remedy' that in short order.) Smiley Sad

Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, that sucks.  Smiley Frustrated

I guess I can forget about any future card #2 with them, then.

(Oddly, I checked just now and I'm still able to apply - it even prefills my info - but I'm sure they will 'remedy' that in short order.) Smiley Sad

Maybe if you already have at least 1 card with them then you are good? Not sure. Oddly enough, I can still access things such as personal loans...was digging around to see what else may have been restricted.

But yup, this was a recent change...something I found odd. I'm not sure how loyal I'll stay to USAA now, given they are restricting access to grandfathered members now. This was going to be my next credit card, oh well.

I asked the representative if anything else was going to be changing and she said not that she know of. If this thread is any indication, USAA sure changes their policies/guidelines a lot. I know they went back and forth 2-3 times on opening up the banking to anybody, but it's been closed for good since 2013.

Message 39 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait a second...

I am no longer getting the ineligibility message. It is now letting me access the credit card section like normal and even apply. What the? The rep clearly told me that they changed the credit card program and that as of June 25th only full members are eligible for that. So, now I'm not sure what to think. If I'm still be able to apply when I'm ready then I will definitely do so.

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.