cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA doesn't do product changes on their CC's?

tag
affluenter
Valued Member

USAA doesn't do product changes on their CC's?

Hello myFICO family,

I just got grandfathered to a USAA full membership. I currently have their Wounded Warrior AMEX & Wounded Warrior MC. I just called a CSR to request a PC to the regular USAA AMEX & USAA World MC.  After a long hold, I was told that they do not do PC's and that I would have to apply (burn another hard pull) for each card and close the ones I have.

Can anyone verify if this is correct or advise me for who to contact? Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA doesn't do product changes on their CC's?

This is wrong.  I have done a USAA PC before.  It was easy.  They even transferred the points to the new card.  I suggest that you call back.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 9
affluenter
Valued Member

Thank you for your insight. I'll contact them again this afternoon and post the results. 

Message 3 of 9
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Am I mistaken in the belief that what USAA won't do is convert Mastercard <--> Amex ? Since my family shops often at Costco, I would love to be able to convert my USAA MC to an Amex.

Message 4 of 9
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@affluenter wrote:

Thank you for your insight. I'll contact them again this afternoon and post the results. 

Let us know! Good Luck.

Message 5 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Maybe it has to do with the product.   I converted a cash rewards to a points rewards card.   I didn't even have to spend my accumulated cash rewards, it just trasferred over to points automatically.   But maybe not all products do this.  I really haven't tried it beyond this single instance.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 9
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Maybe it has to do with the product.   I converted a cash rewards to a points rewards card.   I didn't even have to spend my accumulated cash rewards, it just trasferred over to points automatically.   But maybe not all products do this.  I really haven't tried it beyond this single instance.

Hrm you may be right. You can actually change your rewards program at any time (there is a link to do so when you log in under your specific card). 

Message 7 of 9
affluenter
Valued Member

I just got off the phone with another CSR who said that they could not do a product change from my WWP AMEX/MC to USAA AMEX/World MC. His reasoning was that I was approved for my WWP CCs with specific terms and the CCs I wanted to change to had different terms and would therefore require separate approvals. He placed me on hold to confirm with his superiors and came back with the same answers. He did confirm that rewards programs (USAA/Cash) could be changed at any time.

So I guess I'm stuck with the USAA Affiliate CCs I have. Does anyone have a recon number for USAA?

Message 8 of 9
RemyWinchester
Contributor

You received correct information regarding product change. You can only change your point/cash back option.  You cannot PC to a new card. I've been a long-time USAA customer and I've asked to do this several times and each time I'm told I have to apply for a new card. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.