Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA is not open to everyone anymore

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA is not open to everyone anymore

You would be eligible through your son. Just contacted USAA Federal Savings Bank and found that membership flows down (grand parents/parents) and my advice was incorrect. Also, USAA would be willing to speak with anyone to see if there is any option that might open the doors for a potential new member.

Message 31 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Negative, not for full membership which is insurance

It's not like Navy. 

Only active duty, reserves, guard, and honarably seperated veterans and their spouse/children

Message 32 of 65
tryingagain62
Contributor

I'm a little confused (as usual!). My dad was a WW2 veteran who died in 1974 and wasn't a member of USAA. Am I eligible for full membership with banking/credit card benefits?

Message 33 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

No. Not unless he had USAA insurance

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/pub_eligibility_task_entry

Who is eligible?

• Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.
  • Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
  • Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1
  • Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.

Message 34 of 65
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I don't want to hijack the post. But...I am curious, does NFCU also have such a thing like full members & partial members?

Message 35 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Digital - No. Once you're eligible and get in, you're in. 

Message 36 of 65
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

Digital - No. Once you're eligible and get in, you're in. 

Thank you! Not sure about "Once you're eligible and get in, you're in." I remembered this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/NFCU-FROZE-ALL-MY-ACCOUNT/td-p/2285283

Message 37 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

To be fair - they HAVE to do due diligence since they're restricted membership by government regulation

There have been people who attempt to sneak in. I've even seen people post on this website that they got a military roommate/navy member just in order to meet eligibility requirements

Message 38 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Likely your father needed to be a USAA Member. However, you may be able to provide them what they need to allow you in. Just spoke with USAA Federal Savings Bank and on the surface it appears you would not be eligible. However, they would be willing to speak with you and see if there is an opportunity that may work. They said there are guidelines but sometimes they can open doors by further exploring the situation.

Message 39 of 65
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I think you can still get in with a small donation to these guys

http://www.navyleague.org/corporate/usaa.html

Message 40 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.