USAA is not open to everyone anymore

tag
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA is not open to everyone anymore

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

I think you can still get in with a small donation to these guys

http://www.navyleague.org/corporate/usaa.html

I don't think by becoming a member of Navy League you can join USAA.  I only say it because of this sentence in the opening paragraph "Eligible NLUS members can benefit from USAA’s highly competitive rates, outstanding customer service and dedication to supporting the military community".

Just because you are a member of Navy league doesn't make you eligible all there doing is aligning themselves with Navy League to get the word out and increase business.  I don't think it is like Penfed in that regards.

Message 41 of 65
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

Hmm.. I might reconsider my decision to not use USAA and instead go to NFCU. I like the idea that they are enforcing membership.  Maybe i'll use both and completely ditch US Bank!

I'm glad someone posted this, thank you OP!

Message 42 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spoke with USAA about all this and they encourage you to contact them directly to review your interest on a case by case basis to see if there might be an opportunity. After a long conversation with them, there are guidelines but interesting work arounds.
Message 43 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

You're either eligible or you're not. 

USAA and NFCU are in the business of supporting military members very distinct financial needs. 

You know if you're a military family member.  I'm sorry, but claiming membership through a deceased grandparent who served in WW2 does not make you a military family member. I'm glad I read about people's accounts frozen because they gained membership through a second cousin who served with a different last name. 

I earned my eligibilty for both these institutions, as have many others. But to suggest (and I've seen you post this Navy League backdoor on another site too) a donation to the Navy League makes you eligible is an absolute slap in the face to military families.  I have no sympathy for people who Navy has frozen their accounts because they get in via a roommate member. 

Message 44 of 65
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

I would love to get in with USAA. 

My father fought in Vietnam, but he has no desire to use USAA for anything. Since I wasn't personally Military, that leaves me out. 

I'm OK with that, I understand them enforcing their elite membership. Those people and their families deserve something special. 

I like the way they operate, even if I'm not part of it. 

I'm an employee of the state, I can get some special perks the genral public can't. If anyone could get it, it wouldn't be something special. 

Message 45 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

It's not deserving anything special or being elite. Or people getting butt-hurt being referred to as "second class citizens". 

It's that military organizations providing unique financial needs for their members. 

It's that military have an absolutely different financial needs than non-military. Anyone who was a member prior to 2009 knows for a fact that customer service has taken a nose-dive to the point of USAA having to outsource their CS. 

When the organization gets too big it can no longer provide the service that membes have come to expect. Between picking up and moving across the country or out of country every 2 years, buying/renting new places, deployments, these all factor into unique financial needs of a certain group. 

The churning/abusers of Penfed's 5% gas card have already destroyed that off for military members. USAA's customer service has taken a complete dump. I pray Navy doesn't get too big now. I'm glad USAA seems to be going back to their focus on the military - kinda silly they gear their commercials to veterans and saying they are commited to those who serve - but let literally anyone in 

Message 46 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now I understand what you were saying. Make a donation and your in. Hmm... I served as a US Army Special Forces in Vietnam and my son served a tour in Iraq (1 year) and Afganistan (1 year). My father served in Europe during WWII and my uncle in WWII Navy and lost one uncle who was in the Army/Airforce as a pilot in WWII. We are truly a military family and I follow the clarity of membership. USAA has focused on the military in their past and maybe they realize what you just said and are re-grouping?

Message 47 of 65
dpechal
Regular Contributor

I understand NFCU and USAA being lenient on allowing many people not really affiliated with the military to join.  To get where they are today they would have to expand past the military community.  But now they have met there goal I am glad they are going back to there roots "somewhat".  I feel somewhat bad for the people who's accounts were closed, but not entirely.  IMO it should be open to military members and there immediate family only.  

***$25,500******$20,000******$20,000******$20,000******$15,000********NPSL****

Message 48 of 65
john398
Senior Contributor

So on there banking products does that now make them more of a credit union than a federal bank, since not everyone can get the banking products anymore?

Message 49 of 65
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Not everyone could get USAAs banking products.  If you weren't a full member your choices were limited.

Message 50 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.