Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA is not open to everyone anymore

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: USAA is not open to everyone anymore

@Anonymous wrote:

Now I understand what you were saying. Make a donation and your in. Hmm... I served as a US Army Special Forces in Vietnam and my son served a tour in Iraq (1 year) and Afganistan (1 year). My father served in Europe during WWII and my uncle in WWII Navy and lost one uncle who was a pilot in WWII. We are truly a military family and I follow the clarity of membership. USAA has focused on the military in their past and maybe they realize what you just said and are re-grouping?

The difference between USAA and NFCU is that USAA will include you in membership for having served at all and honorably discharged.

NFCU on the other hand will not.  You had to have retired and draw retirement pay. 

I don't think this is fair to the many, many who have served their country honorably but for what ever reasons, chose not to retire or could not.

Message 51 of 65
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I don't think that USAA will turn into a credit union.  USAA is a private company.  And if they move from a FSB to a CU, then they would have to relinquish some control.

Unless they first decouple the insurance groups with the banking groups, I don't see them turning into a CU.

It could happen.  And I kind of think that it would be a good move.  For if they were a CU, then they would not have to pay taxes as they do now.  And less money leaving the company means more money to go around for all of its members .

Message 52 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

I really like USAA and always have. But they truly baffle me sometimes. In the last three years they have gone completely over-board on national advertising with the campaign of "committed to serving active duty and veterans" but in reality they opened up to anyone. As a result they had to out-source their customer service. 

Another aspect if you're interested is to look up the campaign contributions USAA makes and especially what they did prior to the 2012 elections.  So instead of increasing interest rates on deposits, or lowering interest rates on loans, USAA spends a fortune on advertising and campaign contributions, but hey, at least I get USAA magazine monthly!

If Navy doesn't continue or doesn't keep a tight leash on membership control they will become just like USAA. 

Message 53 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Following on your writing, it occurs to me that as the WWII vets pass on the big supporting base of military dwindles very rapidly. Between Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afganistan and other fronts there are not the numbers to grow or continue to survive soley on the eligible members. The VFW and American Legion certainly realize this as we age there are not enough of us to support these organizations.
Message 54 of 65
bengalih

So if you go to the USAA main page and then click:

"Why join USAA" > "Who can join"

You will see near the bottom a little box that says "Find out what products may be available to you."

If you answer no to all military affiliation questions it says you are only eligible for:

• Investments
  • Life Insurance
  • Shopping and Discounts

I joined back in the beginning of July (no military affiliation established...though I could possilby through father-in-law) and I have a checking and savings account.  If I try to apply for a credit card, I seem to be able to.

I was aware that when I joined, banking products would be available to me, but not insurance/casualty (other than life).

As the "source" quoted earlier gave no verification of how to actually see that info, the above process is the only verifiable way I can see on their site to show that non-military are no longer eligible for banking products.

Message 55 of 65
john398
Senior Contributor

Heard that USAA is opening a big IT Office in Plano TX (Dallas Area) I wonder if I got a job there I could be a full member LOL

Actually the state gave them a 5 million dollar grant

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/article/USAA-expands-in-Plano-lands-5-million-grant-47872...

Message 56 of 65
Ron1
Super Contributor

Join USAA by clicking American Legion.org. I don't know if it is going to work.

link:

http://www.legion.org/usaa/eligibility

Ron. 

Message 57 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Ron, 

Please just stop. I responded to your posts on the other board but I'm new there. 

This is disgusting finding backdoor ways in. 

YOU KNOW FOR A FACT WHETHER YOU ARE ELIGIBLE OR NOT:

Who is eligible?

• Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.
  • Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
  • Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1
  • Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.

There is no gray area. This is as black and white as it gets. 

You and your pals finding backdoor links through the American Legion is disgusting. Do you know what the Legion is? Also, I laugh at the guy who says to join the Navy League as a donation, cause yeah, that all of a sudden makes you military. 

Mods, please lock this thread. Ron1 is attempting to circumvent strict membership rules. I reported this thread to USAA's eligibility department via secure message. 

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/pub_eligibility_task_entry

Message 58 of 65
TATATA
Regular Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

Ron, 

Please just stop. I responded to your posts on the other board but I'm new there. 

This is disgusting finding backdoor ways in. 

YOU KNOW FOR A FACT WHETHER YOU ARE ELIGIBLE OR NOT:

Who is eligible?

• Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.
  • Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
  • Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1
  • Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.

There is no gray area. This is as black and white as it gets. 

You and your pals finding backdoor links through the American Legion is disgusting. Do you know what the Legion is? Also, I laugh at the guy who says to join the Navy League as a donation, cause yeah, that all of a sudden makes you military. 

Mods, please lock this thread. Ron1 is attempting to circumvent strict membership rules. I reported this thread to USAA's eligibility department via secure message. 

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/pub_eligibility_task_entry

Drama Queen comes to mind....

Total CL's combine: $150,600.
Message 59 of 65
RemyWinchester
Contributor

cool story, bro

Message 60 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.