Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA is too funny

tag
Achase
Regular Contributor

USAA is too funny

I applied for a USAA credit card at least 3 times last year. Once in oct 730 eq, nov 751 and once in dec 732 eq and I was denied every time. Each time I tried to recon and the decision remained the same but the csr told me that usaa likes to see baking relationships. Last month I opened a checking and savings acct with 25 in each acct and the next day I applied again for the 4th time 728 eq now and I get approved $2500 platinum mc. I'm like WTF. The limit is kinda low but hey after a few months I'll request a increase Ima do all my banking with them for the next quarter so they can see my money flow.

Anyone else have a similar experience with usaa or another institution?
Message Edited by Achase on 02-05-2010 06:46 PM

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA is too funny

Are you a full member or partial member?  Eithor way congats on the card!
Message 2 of 15
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@Achase wrote:
I applied for a USAA credit card at least 3 times last year. Once in oct 730 eq, nov 751 and once in dec 732 eq and I was denied every time. Each time I tried to recon and the decision remained the same but the csr told me that usaa likes to see baking relationships. Last month I opened a checking and savings acct with 25 in each acct and the next day I applied again for the 4th time 728 eq now and I get approved $2500 platinum mc. I'm like WTF. The limit is kinda low but hey after a few months I'll request a increase Ima do all my banking with them for the next quater so they can see my money flow.

I have had their credit card for 2 years now... and all they have done was raise my limit from $500 to $1000 once in those 2 years...

Message 3 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

based on scores listed you did very well by doubling your cl with usaa,

a limited member would often be denied for the card at app. under 650.

OP- Gratz, your persistence paid off!  great bank to work with. 

@JagerBombs89 wrote:

@Achase wrote:
I applied for a USAA credit card at least 3 times last year. Once in oct 730 eq, nov 751 and once in dec 732 eq and I was denied every time. Each time I tried to recon and the decision remained the same but the csr told me that usaa likes to see baking relationships. Last month I opened a checking and savings acct with 25 in each acct and the next day I applied again for the 4th time 728 eq now and I get approved $2500 platinum mc. I'm like WTF. The limit is kinda low but hey after a few months I'll request a increase Ima do all my banking with them for the next quater so they can see my money flow.

I have had their credit card for 2 years now... and all they have done was raise my limit from $500 to $1000 once in those 2 years...

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Achase wrote:

I applied for a USAA credit card at least 3 times last year. Once in oct 730 eq, nov 751 and once in dec 732 eq and I was denied every time. Each time I tried to recon and the decision remained the same but the csr told me that usaa likes to see baking relationships. Last month I opened a checking and savings acct with 25 in each acct and the next day I applied again for the 4th time 728 eq now and I get approved $2500 platinum mc. I'm like WTF. The limit is kinda low but hey after a few months I'll request a increase Ima do all my banking with them for the next quarter so they can see my money flow.

(emphasis mine)

Sure, this is very typical for USAA, and in fact, they told you this. Smiley Wink

This isn't quite the same as a banking relationship, but my son has been a member for 5 years with no products with only auto insurance for the last two or three years. He got an auto loan from them last month, and the next day he had an offer for a CC. With USAA, the more stuff you have, the more stuff you get over time. (Generally speaking.)

USAA probably does this the most, but I think that other institutions do this to some degree as well. For one thing, I believe that if you have a banking relationship as well as a credit relationship, they can hit your bank accounts if you don't pay your CC/ loans. (This might be changed somewhat by the CARD Act, but for those who might be worried about this, it is definitely worth investigating.) I'm not bothered by it --USAA has pretty much all my money in umpty different accounts anyway, and if I borrow money via a CC or loan, I repay it.

edited to correct
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 02-06-2010 06:35 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They really are funny. The declined me 4 times. Last week I opened a savings and checking with them and app'd for their total rewards amex, and I was instanly approved for 15k. They gave me my account # and 1000.00 to spend immediatly if i choose too.

Go figure. But I am so happy this is my highest limit to date.

Smiley Very Happy 

Message 6 of 15
jthompson5254
Valued Member

Back in late 2008, I had a Chase MC that had a 2000 limit. I applied for a CLI for like 200. DENIED. 2 weeks later I go in to cash my paycheck at Chase and I got pulled out of line by a Customer Service Rep saying that he would help me. As I'm sure everybody knows those reps are worse than used car salesman and before I know it, I have a Chase Checking Account. Then I get told that I qualify for another Chase CC, I told them to go ahead as I needed money and to my surprise, 4K credit limit. The same bank who wouldn't give me a $200 CLI gives me a 4k CC because I had a checking account with them. This is the kind of practice that got the banks in the mess that they are in. As far as being able to take it out of my account, if I was getting  behind on payments,  I would have switched banks. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would do so
Message Edited by jthompson5254 on 02-28-2010 01:22 PM
Message 7 of 15
Achase
Regular Contributor

yup USAA either wants a full banking relationship or relationship at all

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Achase wrote:
yup USAA either wants a full banking relationship or relationship at all

are you a full or limited member?
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a limited member. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.