Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA lets me down (again)

tag
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

USAA lets me down (again)

I'm working in London for the summer. I called my CCs to let them know. USAA has disappointed me recently and I have cancelled most of my CCs and all of my insurance with them but I kept chip and pin because I go to Europe a lot. In the past month, I've had fraud alerts from Chase and Amex, I called in and everything was ok. I used my USAA card once when I first arrived and then I tried to use it yesterday and it was declined. I called USAA and they informed me that they cancelled my account because there was a fraud alert on my account for a week. I never had an email about any of this and they didn't just cancel the card they closed the account. The CSR said that they shouldn't have cancelled it and they should have sent me some notice but things must have got mixed up. She said I had to basically reapply for a CC. I was then put me on hold multiple times and connected to multiple people ( Even though I told them I was calling long distance) they finally came up with I called the day prior and cancelled my card..... That's crazy. Finally, I talked to a Supervisor and after another long hold she said they would issue me a new card with a new number but it could only be sent to my home address. The main reason I kept this card was for this trip to Europe and now it's sitting in my mailbox in Boston. She apologized for everything but with phoney accusations the nearly 50mins it took to settle this matter and the fact that they cancelled my account without any notice, it just reinforces my opinion that USAA is not the bank for me.  

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: USAA lets me down (again)

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I'm working in London for the summer. I called my CCs to let them know. USAA has disappointed me recently and I have cancelled most of my CCs and all of my insurance with them but I kept chip and pin because I go to Europe a lot. In the past month, I've had fraud alerts from Chase and Amex, I called in and everything was ok. I used my USAA card once when I first arrived and then I tried to use it yesterday and it was declined. I called USAA and they informed me that they cancelled my account because there was a fraud alert on my account for a week. I never had an email about any of this and they didn't just cancel the card they closed the account. The CSR said that they shouldn't have cancelled it and they should have sent me some notice but things must have got mixed up. She said I had to basically reapply for a CC. I was then put me on hold multiple times and connected to multiple people ( Even though I told them I was calling long distance) they finally came up with I called the day prior and cancelled my card..... That's crazy. Finally, I talked to a Supervisor and after another long hold she said they would issue me a new card with a new number but it could only be sent to my home address. The main reason I kept this card was for this trip to Europe and now it's sitting in my mailbox in Boston. She apologized for everything but with phoney accusations the nearly 50mins it took to settle this matter and the fact that they cancelled my account without any notice, it just reinforces my opinion that USAA is not the bank for me.  

Does not surprise me at all. Smh.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 13
bluewillow
New Contributor

Wow that really sucks big time. Whenever I travel outside the US I take 2 cc's with me and I always notify them by phone and follow up email the dates I will be out of the US and what countries I will be in and have never had a problem. Blame it on all the fraud that happens every day, banks are protecting themselves as they usually eat the $$$$$ associated with fraud.

My son had this issue when he was in Northern Ireland a few years back with Bank of New York, he still lived at home so I was able to get hold of him and tell him to call the bank or the next time he went to use his card it may be declined..

Message 3 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

LS2982 wrote: Does not surprise me at all. Smh.

I'm surprised.  I've never had problems wth them whether it's banking or insurance.

Message 4 of 13
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

LS2982 wrote: Does not surprise me at all. Smh.

I'm surprised.  I've never had problems wth them whether it's banking or insurance.

It's funny when I was in the service I never had a problem either. The crappy situations all happened over the last couple of years.  I used to be a huge USAA fan until I found site like this that taught me I could be doing so much better.

Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 5 of 13
CS800
Super Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the experience. They are generally very good.

The only two things I have thats not making me a big fan of theirs right now is that they mail my card to a repvious address on file that was a very old address. This address was not even on my profile online since I had the correct one listed on my profile.

They said they would cancel the card and issue a new one but it would take 15 days to get a new one.

I live in MA and  they sent the new card to my old address in Cambridge. Just annoying

Next they refuse to give me a CLI and graduate my 'Classic' card ..... blaaa

*Rant switch off**

Message 6 of 13
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

sorry to hear about your situation man.

Hope you can come up with some ""back up"" credit card why you over seas.......

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 7 of 13
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I know exactly what you mean.  As a customer, I can handle two transfers before I start to get annoyed -- one transfer for if it was my fault that I called the wrong department, and the second transfer or if the CSR accidentally transferred me to the wrong department.  If I have to be transferred over and over again, it gets really really irritating.

And in my most recent phone calls with USAA, they have transferred me six, seven, and even 8 times, all becuase the CSR's have been poorly tranied and have no idea which dept they really needed to send me.

USAA is dog doodoo in terms of customer service compared to their glory days.

Message 8 of 13
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the experience. They are generally very good.

The only two things I have thats not making me a big fan of theirs right now is that they mail my card to a repvious address on file that was a very old address. This address was not even on my profile online since I had the correct one listed on my profile.

They said they would cancel the card and issue a new one but it would take 15 days to get a new one.

I live in MA and  they sent the new card to my old address in Cambridge. Just annoying

Next they refuse to give me a CLI and graduate my 'Classic' card ..... blaaa

*Rant switch off**

That was why I canceled my cards with them. They don't graduate the cards no matter how long you have them. Plus, I had a six year relationship with them banking, insurance, investment and I have to burn a HP for a 500 CLI when I'm getting much bigger CL from Chase, Amex and NFCU with no relationship.  

Message 9 of 13
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

sorry to hear about your situation man.

Hope you can come up with some ""back up"" credit card why you over seas.......

Well I have my Amex but it has foreign transaction fees and I have my CSP which doesn't have any fees but it's not a chip and pin and it doesn't have numbers on the front so some places with the old manual machines don't take it.  It just would have been nice to have a Chip and Pin in those situations.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.