cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA 'made' me app....approved for $20,000 each x 2 (MC & AMEX)

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: USAA 'made' me app....approved for $20,000

OMG! I wish banks were that generous.  Do you think your income is what contributed to the high limits?  Have you already had other cards with higher limits?
Message Edited by DI on 08-30-2009 02:38 PM
Message 11 of 24
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

txjohn -

You are on fire!  Congratulations !!!!

[4/23] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 5, TU 1. AoOA=14.8y, AoYA=9m.
TCL $618K: Personal $512K, Business $106K.
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@plasticman wrote:

Wow txjohn!

How nice is that! So I understand clearly, you actually received 40k worth of credit in one phone call?

I  joined USAA, sent them 5 figures of deposit, and then realized I was not a "full" member so I closed my savings account with them as I could not qualify for any of their insurance products. I understand I could apply for a credit card without being a full member though.

Congratulations! I sure wish I could be a full member of USAA Smiley Sad an outstanding FSB ( I think that is their status) 

Yes and no.  It was during 1 call, but I applied online while on that call.

As CSR explained that Deposit@home was limited to credit qualified members, she asked if I wanted to apply.  The app takes about 10-15 seconds online, so I submitted and it came back APPROVED on the MC for $20,000. 

When I told the CSR what I was seeing, she said "Well, do you want an AMEX too?"  So I submitted application online at that time too.

Both cards were 8.9% APR (variable), so I didn't quite get the best rate available, which is 7.75%.

FYI:  I pulled my CR just now and it only pulled a single EQ inquiry....so only 1 hard for 2 approvals.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:
OMG! I wish banks were that generous.  Do you think your income is what contributed to the high limits?  Have you already had other cards with higher limits?
Message Edited by DI on 08-30-2009 02:38 PM

I have to assume that income has a significant play in this.  If I only made $30-40k per year, I doubt they would have started with those CL's....but I really don't have any experience here.

I have a $25,000 NFCU CL Visa, $20,000 with PSECU and $15,000 NFCU Navcheck.  So far NFCU and USAA have been the most generous overall with $40k in revolving credit each.

Other than that my highest other CL's are all $10,000.....well actually I have $15k Juni Biz and $25k BoA Biz, but they don't personally report.

Message Edited by txjohn on 08-30-2009 01:43 PM
Message 14 of 24
Established Contributor

txjohn,

Thanks for clearing that question up for me. Your subject line says 20k and I had to do a double take when I read your post!Smiley Very Happy

I must say your approval run is nothing short of astounding!

Once again, very big congratulations!

BTW... I thought you had been gone for awhile for a well deserved a champagne lunch! LOLSmiley Wink

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-30-2009 01:46 PM
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I updated the subject line of OP so that it was a little clearer Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 24
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: USAA 'made' me app....approved for $20,000 each x 2 (MC & AMEX)

Congrats on the approval for new cards. I have limited membership with them, all I could open is savings and checking account with them.
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:
Congrats on the approval for new cards. I have limited membership with them, all I could open is savings and checking account with them.

So it will not allow you to app CC's?  I thought limited members were only prohibited from insurance products....but banking and loans were available.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you check the membership levels that were posted, you see loans and credit cards are suspiciously absent.
Message 19 of 24
score_building
Senior Contributor

WOWZA a 1,2 punch at USAA is worth its weight in gold...Navy, PSECU and USSA appear to offer some of the most generous initial CLs among issuer, looks like they worked for you too-super congrats!

ideally you can keep your AAoA above 4 before you have to app again.

Message Edited by score_building on 08-31-2009 08:26 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.