Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA - membership/credit check

tag
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

USAA - membership/credit check

Hi all,

Does USAA check credit just to become a member? The reason I ask is because I am in the process of purchasing a home right now and want to become a member but do not want them pulling my credit until I close on my house.

If I can just become a member and not apply for any products then I an do it now if they do not check.

Thanks.

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA - membership/credit check

@musikklvr wrote:

Hi all,

Does USAA check credit just to become a member? The reason I ask is because I am in the process of purchasing a home right now and want to become a member but do not want them pulling my credit until I close on my house.

If I can just become a member and not apply for any products then I an do it now if they do not check.

Thanks.

they only pulled a soft when i joined, they pull hard for loan apps. 
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 8
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Thanks score. I think I will just wait until I close just to be on the safe side. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Lyythine
Established Contributor

score is correct...  They pull a soft on opening membership and then a hard for any applications.  But, in my experience, its a hard for everything you apply for.  ie: Credit Card and Auto Loan cannot be on same app - or at least, that was my experience. 
Message 4 of 8
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Lyy. I just want to start out opening a Roth IRA then in a couple of months when my scores get better, apply for the USAA Master Card so I can get rid of Orchard.

Message 5 of 8
getting2work
Contributor

I love USAA. We have been with them so long I honestly don't remember if they checked my credit. I did not really pay much attention to it back then anyhow. Their car insurance rates are EXCELLENT. I have nothing but good things to say. They are a little stricter about lending it seems, but IMO a very reputable company.
Working on buying our first home!
10/15/2012 TU 680 EX 658 EQ 684
06/26/2009 TU 644 EX 601(fako) EQ 614
06/06/2009 TU 612 EX 526 (fako) EQ 614
05/01/2009 TU 594 EX ???? EQ 563
01/01/2009 TU 527 EX 453 (fako) EQ 477
Message 6 of 8
musikklvr
Frequent Contributor

I keep hearing good things about USAA and didn't even think about it all of these years and now that I'm financially focused, it makes sense to use them. I remember them from when I was in the military 11 years ago and believe I had my checking with them but not sure.

I guy I work with told me I should definitely join because the insurance rates are great so as soon as I close, I am joining.

Message 7 of 8
torndollar
Valued Member

Hi - does anyone know if they blacklist a defaulted credit card for life?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.