Frequent Contributor
musikklvr

USAA - membership/credit check

Hi all,

Does USAA check credit just to become a member? The reason I ask is because I am in the process of purchasing a home right now and want to become a member but do not want them pulling my credit until I close on my house.

If I can just become a member and not apply for any products then I an do it now if they do not check.

Thanks.

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 712
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
score_building

Re: USAA - membership/credit check

musikklvr wrote:

Hi all,

Does USAA check credit just to become a member? The reason I ask is because I am in the process of purchasing a home right now and want to become a member but do not want them pulling my credit until I close on my house.

If I can just become a member and not apply for any products then I an do it now if they do not check.

Thanks.

they only pulled a soft when i joined, they pull hard for loan apps. 
FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Frequent Contributor
musikklvr

Thanks score. I think I will just wait until I close just to be on the safe side. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Lyythine

score is correct...  They pull a soft on opening membership and then a hard for any applications.  But, in my experience, its a hard for everything you apply for.  ie: Credit Card and Auto Loan cannot be on same app - or at least, that was my experience. 
Frequent Contributor
musikklvr

Thanks Lyy. I just want to start out opening a Roth IRA then in a couple of months when my scores get better, apply for the USAA Master Card so I can get rid of Orchard.

Contributor
getting2work

I love USAA. We have been with them so long I honestly don't remember if they checked my credit. I did not really pay much attention to it back then anyhow. Their car insurance rates are EXCELLENT. I have nothing but good things to say. They are a little stricter about lending it seems, but IMO a very reputable company.
Working on buying our first home!
10/15/2012 TU 680 EX 658 EQ 684
06/26/2009 TU 644 EX 601(fako) EQ 614
06/06/2009 TU 612 EX 526 (fako) EQ 614
05/01/2009 TU 594 EX ???? EQ 563
01/01/2009 TU 527 EX 453 (fako) EQ 477
Frequent Contributor
musikklvr

I keep hearing good things about USAA and didn't even think about it all of these years and now that I'm financially focused, it makes sense to use them. I remember them from when I was in the military 11 years ago and believe I had my checking with them but not sure.

I guy I work with told me I should definitely join because the insurance rates are great so as soon as I close, I am joining.

Valued Member
torndollar

Hi - does anyone know if they blacklist a defaulted credit card for life?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}