Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0

USAA membership for "others"?

Has anyone joined as a limited member and were able to get a secured credit card? I have 2 cards (one AU) and I think I could use one more to rebuild my credit. I am non military so I was wondering is it worth it to app with USAA just for a secured cc? What other products can you qualify for as a limited member?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 680


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge





Starting Score: EQ FICO 470 TU FICO 482 7/15/2011
Current Score: EX ?? /EQ FICO 628 / TU ??
Goal Score: 680 across the board!

Navy Federal nRewards $500 cl
Capitol One Platinum (AU) $7500 cl
USAA Amex $250
Kay Jewelers $900
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,442
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?

As a limited member, you have access to 3 cards. Not sure if its a secured in there. They're cards with not the best terms as full members would receive but they are still decent.

Take a look at the website, hopefully they can help you!



Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?

Has anyone with limited membership been able to apply for and recieve a secured cc?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 680


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge





Starting Score: EQ FICO 470 TU FICO 482 7/15/2011
Current Score: EX ?? /EQ FICO 628 / TU ??
Goal Score: 680 across the board!

Navy Federal nRewards $500 cl
Capitol One Platinum (AU) $7500 cl
USAA Amex $250
Kay Jewelers $900
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 12,034
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?


shalane85 wrote:

Has anyone with limited membership been able to apply for and recieve a secured cc?


AFAIK, not since they closed an old loophole in their interface.

 

For the last six months at least limited members have not been able to obtain a secured card.  One of their primary benefits, not reporting as secured, may have disappeared anyway.  I do know my secured CD loan with them absolutely reports as secured, and I suspect their cards are now similar.

 

The ability to easily add money to one's deposit is nice, but one can find that from Cap One and various CU's as well.  Not certain there's much else to recommend it other than USAA is a decent lender for those of us in the FICO mid-game for credit cards at least.  Not certain what products (outside of the obvious insurance) aren't available to limited members, but their limits still seem to be fairly generous for partial members once they get to typical unsecured levels.

 

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?

What is AFAIK?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 680


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge





Starting Score: EQ FICO 470 TU FICO 482 7/15/2011
Current Score: EX ?? /EQ FICO 628 / TU ??
Goal Score: 680 across the board!

Navy Federal nRewards $500 cl
Capitol One Platinum (AU) $7500 cl
USAA Amex $250
Kay Jewelers $900
Established Contributor
Posts: 515
Registered: ‎07-31-2012
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?

As Far As I Know

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?

Okay well I found a loophole to become a full member. So is the secured cc worth it? Am I better off waiting until I qualify for a unsecured?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 680


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge





Starting Score: EQ FICO 470 TU FICO 482 7/15/2011
Current Score: EX ?? /EQ FICO 628 / TU ??
Goal Score: 680 across the board!

Navy Federal nRewards $500 cl
Capitol One Platinum (AU) $7500 cl
USAA Amex $250
Kay Jewelers $900
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,857
Registered: ‎06-08-2012
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?

So what's the loophole? They are kind of my hobby right now. (still waiting to hear from PSECU and roommate moves in this week but will wait for NFCU until utilization improves)


Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Posts: 200
Registered: ‎03-15-2012
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?


Revelate wrote:

shalane85 wrote:

Has anyone with limited membership been able to apply for and recieve a secured cc?


AFAIK, not since they closed an old loophole in their interface.

 

For the last six months at least limited members have not been able to obtain a secured card.  One of their primary benefits, not reporting as secured, may have disappeared anyway.  I do know my secured CD loan with them absolutely reports as secured, and I suspect their cards are now similar.

 

The ability to easily add money to one's deposit is nice, but one can find that from Cap One and various CU's as well.  Not certain there's much else to recommend it other than USAA is a decent lender for those of us in the FICO mid-game for credit cards at least.  Not certain what products (outside of the obvious insurance) aren't available to limited members, but their limits still seem to be fairly generous for partial members once they get to typical unsecured levels.

 


Secured AmEx added in March. Does not report secured.

Secured MC added in May. Does not report secured.

Not sure about anything added more recently, but for me, these do not report secured.

 

Their interest rates are pretty great, especially if you're in need of a secured product. I don't carry a balance ever, so it matters little to me, but I still take that into consideration.

Interest rates for partial members are generally a bit higher.

 

My only gripe with the USAA secured card is that it doesn't unsecure after 2 years. At that point, I'm hoping to qualify for other USAA cards, but I have seen at least one person that was denied after using their secured product for the 2 year time frame.

 

Otherwise, I think these cards are great. If you can get in as a full member, I'd go for it.

Plus, their car insurance is top-notch. Worth it on its own in many cases.

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 12,034
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: USAA membership for "others"?


apandabear wrote:

Revelate wrote:

shalane85 wrote:

Has anyone with limited membership been able to apply for and recieve a secured cc?


AFAIK, not since they closed an old loophole in their interface.

 

For the last six months at least limited members have not been able to obtain a secured card.  One of their primary benefits, not reporting as secured, may have disappeared anyway.  I do know my secured CD loan with them absolutely reports as secured, and I suspect their cards are now similar.

 

The ability to easily add money to one's deposit is nice, but one can find that from Cap One and various CU's as well.  Not certain there's much else to recommend it other than USAA is a decent lender for those of us in the FICO mid-game for credit cards at least.  Not certain what products (outside of the obvious insurance) aren't available to limited members, but their limits still seem to be fairly generous for partial members once they get to typical unsecured levels.

 


Secured AmEx added in March. Does not report secured.

Secured MC added in May. Does not report secured.

Not sure about anything added more recently, but for me, these do not report secured.

 

Their interest rates are pretty great, especially if you're in need of a secured product. I don't carry a balance ever, so it matters little to me, but I still take that into consideration.

Interest rates for partial members are generally a bit higher.

 

My only gripe with the USAA secured card is that it doesn't unsecure after 2 years. At that point, I'm hoping to qualify for other USAA cards, but I have seen at least one person that was denied after using their secured product for the 2 year time frame.

 

Otherwise, I think these cards are great. If you can get in as a full member, I'd go for it.

Plus, their car insurance is top-notch. Worth it on its own in many cases.


Good to know panda, thank you.  I completely agree with you on USAA insurance.  I didn't go for one of their secured cards as I was trying to relationship build with a few lenders and picked up a secured CD loan instead from them; I do sort of wonder why the difference in reporting, but it's great they work out well for others.  Probably would've been a better route for me than the C1 nee Orchard card I have currently, which other than no forex fee, does absolutely nothing beyond generic tradeline for me.

 

 

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.