Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA membership

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

USAA membership

....hopefully. OK, I never served nor worked for the government. I keep seeing conflicting membership qualifications in here but had to check:

Would there be any way for DW to join if her sister is a member? Specifically, her sister didn't serve but is a member via her hubby who is in the Reserves.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
DI
Super Contributor

Re: USAA membership

USAA allowed me to register, but I have no access to any products. 
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA's banking products did have open membership (call them!) however unless you were a full member you could not get insurance or investment products
Message 3 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
USAA's banking products did have open membership (call them!) however unless you were a full member you could not get insurance or investment products

+1.  I was able to become a member, but have no access to products.  I may be able to apply for a credit card with them. There was a number listed to call when I clicked on the link.  

Message 4 of 30
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I opened checking and savings accounts about 6 months ago but only qualify for a limited membership as I was never in the military.  My daughter and son-in-law are full members through his father who was in the Air Force.  I called to inquire about the possibility of getting a full membership through them but was told that it only flows from parents to children and not back up from children to parents. 

So to answer your question, I honestly don't know but I doubt that it would be possible to join through a sibling.  They are a lot tighter than NFCU with eligibility requirements.  Of course it is like everything else, if I were to talk to a different CSR I might get a different answer.

I knew going in that I would not be able to have their insurance and would be limited to a mastercard with a higher interest rate and no rewards but I still felt it was worth it for their totally free checking.  I've been very happy with them, when I transfer funds from my BofA checking account the funds show up and are available immediately.  All checks are free and they send postage paid envelopes with deposit slips.  They are a first class organization.  

Message 5 of 30
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

....hopefully. OK, I never served nor worked for the government. I keep seeing conflicting membership qualifications in here but had to check:

Would there be any way for DW to join if her sister is a member? Specifically, her sister didn't serve but is a member via her hubby who is in the Reserves.

You can join and become a "red-headed stepchild" of USAA as many of us are.  Meaning...limited membership benefits such as a non-rewards mastercard, checking/savings/cds, and a few other things.  No insurance, no really cool offers, well...not much period, except the fading hope that one day you'll become a full member with the benefits bestowed therein if they decide to change their policy and upgrade memberships.  I am not holding my breath on it, though.   Smiley Happy  Having said that, they are a GREAT organization if one qualifies for full membership, as many will attest to.  

Message Edited by TangMeister on 10-19-2009 02:04 PM
Message 6 of 30
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

My brother tried and they said siblings don't count for full membership. So that means you can't join through your brother /sister uncle/aunt etc it has to be a parent/stepparent to get full membership.

Message 7 of 30
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@armywifey85 wrote:

My brother tried and they said siblings don't count for full membership. So that means you can't join through your brother /sister uncle/aunt etc it has to be a parent/stepparent to get full membership.

That and the parent has to have an insurance product!
Message 8 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the responses guys. Just short of enlisting or getting new parents, I guess my options are limited. If only they'd join NFCU.....
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. Just short of enlisting or getting new parents, I guess my options are limited. If only they'd join NFCU.....
I'm a full USAA member (through my wife who was through her dad) and we use a lot of their products. We did this years ago and really didn't know how restrictive they were. Wonder if I can the father-in-law to join NFCU too?
 Hmmmmmmmmm 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.