Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA or NFCU??

tag
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Re: USAA or NFCU??

NFCU by a long shot and USAA insurance is not what it used to be there are so many better options out there.

Oh Im a full USAA member banked with them for years, but compared to NFCU there plain crap

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 11 of 21
crew99
Contributor

Wish I could find a way into nfcu, I'd even pay to get in. Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: CK 658 12/4/12 | CS 658 12/4/12 | myFico(EQ) 696 12/1/12
Current Score: CK 725 12/1/14 | CS 775 12/1/14 | myFico(EQ) 753 12/2/14
Goal Score: 800 Dare I Dream??

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 21
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Tell me about it. I will go with USAA i guess because I keep trying NFCU and veterans of wars are not allowed. USAA seems pretty solid especially compared to Wells Fargo. Ive had nothing but bad experiences. Thank you everyone for your contributions. Its truly helped me 

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 13 of 21
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Nice Work Greeneman! I will get to your level at some point! Whats mortgages looking like with USAA?

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 14 of 21
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@rightcoast wrote:

Ive been spamming the boards with all these Credit Union questions and I'm down to my last question. I hope! Lets make an honest choice here, PenFed or NFCU? (if i can get in NFCU)

I am in the rebuilding process and looking for a solid bank to do all of my transactions. Mortgage, car loan, checking/savings, CC and other

Thanks Fico! Hopefully these post will allow everyone to know about each one!

If you can qualify for mship in NFCU, it's definitely your better option, they are more lenient on approvals. Banking-wise, only full members can do iPhone deposits with usaa. Everyone can do iPhone deposits with NFCU. Rewards-wise and Interest rate-wise, NFCU is better with their CCs than usaa - even with usaa full members. Look at their website and compare the rewards of their CCs vs nfcu's. usaa charges ltd members higher interest rate and less rewards than their full members, and both aren't as good as NFCU.

As far as iPhone deposits, we need to compare the whole experience.  Navy does allow virtually anybody to deposit checks via iPhone, but restricts funds availability.  On the other hand, USAA gives instant availability on up to $10,000 per day.   Given that free $10k per day short-term loan, they are prudent in restricting access.

USAA credit card rewards seem the same as, if not better, than Navy Federal's.  With the Navy cashRewards Visa, I get 1%.  After the rewards $s build up, you request a payout.  USAA has two rewards structures.  One is called, I believe, Cash Rewards and it starts at 1% and is tiered based on cumulative spending.  It pays out once per year.  The other structure is simply called Rewards and you get 1 point per dollar.  You can redeem points and get a variable return depending on your redemption choice, but if you accumulate a minimum of 5k points you can get a 1 point = $0.01 cash redemption paid into any of your USAA accounts.

USAA offers a far wider range of financial services than Navy does.  Navy, though, is more lenient in granting credit to those with issues.

Both, though, are excellent financial institutions.

Message 15 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@McArthur wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@rightcoast wrote:

Ive been spamming the boards with all these Credit Union questions and I'm down to my last question. I hope! Lets make an honest choice here, PenFed or NFCU? (if i can get in NFCU)

I am in the rebuilding process and looking for a solid bank to do all of my transactions. Mortgage, car loan, checking/savings, CC and other

If you can qualify for mship in NFCU, it's definitely your better option, they are more lenient on approvals. Banking-wise, only full members can do iPhone deposits with usaa. Everyone can do iPhone deposits with NFCU. Rewards-wise and Interest rate-wise, NFCU is better with their CCs than usaa - even with usaa full members. Look at their website and compare the rewards of their CCs vs nfcu's. usaa charges ltd members higher interest rate and less rewards than their full members, and both aren't as good as NFCU.

As far as iPhone deposits, we need to compare the whole experience.  Navy does allow virtually anybody to deposit checks via iPhone, but restricts funds availability.  On the other hand, USAA gives instant availability on up to $10,000 per day.   Given that free $10k per day short-term loan, they are prudent in restricting access.

USAA credit card rewards seem the same as, if not better, than Navy Federal's.  With the Navy cashRewards Visa, I get 1%.  After the rewards $s build up, you request a payout.  USAA has two rewards structures.  One is called, I believe, Cash Rewards and it starts at 1% and is tiered based on cumulative spending.  It pays out once per year.  The other structure is simply called Rewards and you get 1 point per dollar.  You can redeem points and get a variable return depending on your redemption choice, but if you accumulate a minimum of 5k points you can get a 1 point = $0.01 cash redemption paid into any of your USAA accounts.

USAA offers a far wider range of financial services than Navy does.  Navy, though, is more lenient in granting credit to those with issues.

Remember, that the iPhone deposits only apply to FULL USAA members. That was my point. If you're a limited member, you cannot do that. As far as navy's rewards, I get 1% up the first $10k in a year, then 1.5% after that. I can cash out when there is $20 or more avail, which means I've spent $2k on the card. They have an option to have it credited to your cc bal, which is what I do.

i believe the 1 pt per $ reward you're referring to is also only avail to full members. Ltd members don't get as much in rewards. Based on what you wrote, if you get 1 pt per $1 and you have to have a min of 5k pts to redeem, then you can't cash out your points until you've spent $5k, as opposed to $2k with NFCU. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. 

If I could be a full member of usaa, I most definitely would. I think it's the best of both worlds. But as a ltd member. I'm rather disenchanted with them. I kind of feel like a second class citizen to them. there have been threads in the past where others have voiced the same sentiment.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 16 of 21
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@McArthur wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@rightcoast wrote:

Remember, that the iPhone deposits only apply to FULL USAA members. That was my point. If you're a limited member, you cannot do that. As far as navy's rewards, I get 1% up the first $10k in a year, then 1.5% after that. I can cash out when there is $20 or more avail, which means I've spent $2k on the card. They have an option to have it credited to your cc bal, which is what I do.

i believe the 1 pt per $ reward you're referring to is also only avail to full members. Ltd members don't get as much in rewards. Based on what you wrote, if you get 1 pt per $1 and you have to have a min of 5k pts to redeem, then you can't cash out your points until you've spent $5k, as opposed to $2k with NFCU. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. 

If I could be a full member of usaa, I most definitely would. I think it's the best of both worlds. But as a ltd member. I'm rather disenchanted with them. I kind of feel like a second class citizen to them. there have been threads in the past where others have voiced the same sentiment.

The 1 point = $0.01 is for all cardholders with the USAA Rewards program. Plus you get 2 points for all grocery and gas purchases.  For me, that works out better than Navy.  If you go for the Cash Rewards option, it's 1.25 & 2.25 respectively.  But you only get a payout once per year.  

Since OP wrote that he will get a family member to join as a veteran and then ride in on his coattail, he should be a full member.  He'll have to get that family member to buy some type of insurance though since sometimes they seem to require that in order to pass full membership on to family members.  If he can do that, he's better off with USAA's mobile deposit service than Navy's. 

For me, being with both is the best option.  If I had to choose one, though, I'd skip Navy.  Sometimes I think they are not responsible with how they issue credit.  They let my son get a $500 secured card, which I thought was good.  After a year they automatically graduated the card and increased the limit to $1k, which even he recognized as too much.  He called to see about reducing the limit, they put him on hold and said it was fixed.  They fixed it to $25k.  My son is 16.  I'd love to see Navy's default numbers. Must be off the charts. 

Message 17 of 21
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@McArthur wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@McArthur wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@rightcoast wrote:

The 1 point = $0.01 is for all cardholders with the USAA Rewards program. Plus you get 2 points for all grocery and gas purchases.  For me, that works out better than Navy.  If you go for the Cash Rewards option, it's 1.25 & 2.25 respectively.  But you only get a payout once per year.  

Since OP wrote that he will get a family member to join as a veteran and then ride in on his coattail, he should be a full member.  He'll have to get that family member to buy some type of insurance though since sometimes they seem to require that in order to pass full membership on to family members.  If he can do that, he's better off with USAA's mobile deposit service than Navy's. 

For me, being with both is the best option.  If I had to choose one, though, I'd skip Navy.  Sometimes I think they are not responsible with how they issue credit.  They let my son get a $500 secured card, which I thought was good.  After a year they automatically graduated the card and increased the limit to $1k, which even he recognized as too much.  He called to see about reducing the limit, they put him on hold and said it was fixed.  They fixed it to $25k.  My son is 16.  I'd love to see Navy's default numbers. Must be off the charts. 

Wow, that's amazing! Is his credit limit still 25k? If used responsibly, it will definitely help build his credit.

Message 18 of 21
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@kevinjjc wrote:

@McArthur wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@McArthur wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@rightcoast wrote:

Wow, that's amazing! Is his credit limit still 25k? If used responsibly, it will definitely help build his credit.

Nope.  Needless to say I practically went postal.  

I scanned his state ID, credit card and a screen shot of his Navy Federal page showing the "fixed" CL and called to give them a heads up before faxing It to the CEO.  The next day I got a phone call from some pinhead in security saying my son mislead them when asked his gross income.  Gross income?  He's freaking 16!  WTH do you even ask a 16 year old kid his income to lower his limit?  How can a minor even have unsecured revolving credit?

Another fax to the CEO and a call to the NCUA and I get a call at work that they want to come and apologize in person.  They never did tell me exactly what went wrong, but they did confirm my son did misrepresent his income.  When asked his gross income from all sources he stated $250 per month.  Actually it's more like $300.

He still has the card and one year later it's still unsecured with a CL of $500.  They swore never to raise it unless I signed off on it or until he was 18 and had real income. 

I love Navy Federal and it doesn't bother me that they give insanely high limits to folks who don't merit, but were I a shareholder I'd be really worried about some of the clowns who make their credit decisions.   Really worried. 

I figure my son should be in good shape when he is capable of applying on his own for credit.  He will have 3 years with Navy, AU on a very old AmEx and AU on USAA for  2 years.  The rest is up to him.

Message 19 of 21
mt2va
Established Contributor

I would say both.

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.