Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA or Navfed ?

tag
mjccredit
Valued Member

USAA or Navfed ?

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if II can join either or both of these. My father was in the army for 3 years and had an honorable discharge. He did not join either of these groups before he passed away in 1988. Am I eligible for either of these as the daughter of a Veteran even if he never joined ? If so, does anyone have any advice on which one is better long term ? I want to have a long term relationship not just for generous Limits its but low interest rates for cars and mortgages for the long term.

Any input is appreciated.

Ex 653 Eq 699 TU 677 Jan 2014
Nov 2014 733
Goal score at least 780 across all 3
Amex platinum NPSL1/14 ,Chase Freedom $5500 1/14,Lane Bryant $250Capital one ,quicksilver $3,5001/14, TR visa $13,100. 2/14 penfed Platinum Cash Rewards $25,000, 7/14 Amex Everday Preferred $34,500, 7/14 CSP $14,000, 11/14 ink Plus $35,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA or Navfed ?

Hi I use both NFCU and USAA, if you qualify for NFCU that is a better choice for the most part (higher credit limits). USAA is a great bank and I think most people qualify for the banking part, but USAA is MUCH more conservative with credit. Call them up and see if you qualify.

Walt.

Message 2 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

You may qualify for USAA. Give them a call. Not sure about your dad being deceased and not a member. NFCU is for active or retired military and their families.
Message 3 of 7
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@mjccredit wrote:

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if II can join either or both of these. My father was in the army for 3 years and had an honorable discharge. He did not join either of these groups before he passed away in 1988. Am I eligible for either of these as the daughter of a Veteran even if he never joined ? If so, does anyone have any advice on which one is better long term ? I want to have a long term relationship not just for generous Limits its but low interest rates for cars and mortgages for the long term.

For Navy Federal, your dad has to establish an NFCU account for you to join as you'll need his sponsor number. Although you may be the daughhter of a military vet, in this case, you won't qualify. At the moment USAA is not taking any membership unless you sign through an military affiliate or current banking member. Occasionally USAA opens up to all people (did so last year) so I would call them and ask them if they're doing it and you may be able to get part time membership. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 7
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

In my opinion, if you qualify for both, it's NFCU and it's not close. 

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 5 of 7
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@mjccredit wrote:

If your father was only in for three years, you won't qualify for NFCU.  He would've had to have been retired.  For most people, that means twenty years of active duty service.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 6 of 7
mjccredit
Valued Member

Thanks for the responses - I kind of thought that might be the case. He was active for 3 year and in reserve another several but he did not retire from the service. I guess I will have to wait and see if USAA starts allowing non military folks again.

Ex 653 Eq 699 TU 677 Jan 2014
Nov 2014 733
Goal score at least 780 across all 3
Amex platinum NPSL1/14 ,Chase Freedom $5500 1/14,Lane Bryant $250Capital one ,quicksilver $3,5001/14, TR visa $13,100. 2/14 penfed Platinum Cash Rewards $25,000, 7/14 Amex Everday Preferred $34,500, 7/14 CSP $14,000, 11/14 ink Plus $35,000
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.