Did you mean: 

USAA quick question

tag
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

USAA quick question

got this message when i joined online:

Thanks — and welcome to USAA.

Based on the information you provided, you are not currently eligible for USAA property insurance. You can however take advantage of USAA banking, investments and discounts through usaa.com. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.

Does this mean I am not a "full member" and I wont get the perks? It only asked if I was in the military, or if my parents were in the military, which they are not and I am not. My grandparents were and my cousins are.

If I am not a full member, is this still a good bank to do business with or are there not really perks that are as good as NFCU?

Any ideas? Thank you.

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA quick question

your parets would have to have USAA due to your grandparents and then you could be a full member. Thats how I am a full member. They are stil a great company and you will like them even though you are not a full member. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 2 of 7
namvet
Established Contributor

USAA is a great bank to do business with full member or not.  Their customer service is second to none.

Message 3 of 7
PSouz
Contributor

if your parents are a usaa member from your grandparents you can become a member through your parents even though your parents werent in the military

-edit, looks like someone beat me to it haha

Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Message 4 of 7
dddfresh
Frequent Contributor

thank you everyone...

From what Ive read, the credit cards have decent rates, but the rewards arent that great.

Do you recommend any of their products over NFCU?

9/2013: Fico EQ 676, EXP 686, Fico TU 686.
NFCU Flagship Sig. $14k..NFCU CashRwdsSig $14k..NFCU LOC $12.5k..USAA Amex 4k..AMEX Green NPSL..Discover IT $1.5k...BofA Cash Rewards123 $2.5k...Southwest Premier $2k..Chase Freedom $1.5k..CareCredit $3.5k..Cap1-$1.5k..HSBC $300...Lowes $1.5k...WalMart $1.5k...JCP $1k..Chevron $1.1k..Kays/Jerrod - $5k split. around 8% Util. Want to get in the 700's in 2013! Have three old paid charge offs. 15-20inq.. LAST APP 8/29/13
Message 5 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@dddfresh wrote:

thank you everyone...

From what Ive read, the credit cards have decent rates, but the rewards arent that great.

Do you recommend any of their products over NFCU?

Rate advantage CC maybe.  Beyond that I'm struggling to think of one.  My USAA card doesn't get much love, come to think of it I should trot it out since my Freedom has been dropped into limbo status.

        
Message 6 of 7
solxp
Contributor

@dddfresh wrote:

got this message when i joined online:

Thanks — and welcome to USAA.

Based on the information you provided, you are not currently eligible for USAA property insurance. You can however take advantage of USAA banking, investments and discounts through usaa.com. You will receive a confirmation email shortly.

Does this mean I am not a "full member" and I wont get the perks? It only asked if I was in the military, or if my parents were in the military, which they are not and I am not. My grandparents were and my cousins are.

If I am not a full member, is this still a good bank to do business with or are there not really perks that are as good as NFCU?

Any ideas? Thank you.

If your grandparents are still alive they could join if they have not already. Then if one of your parents joined thru them you would be eligible. You should have them look into it as there insurance products are hard to beat. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.