Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA rewards credit cards now available to all members

tag
hemi961
Regular Contributor

USAA rewards credit cards now available to all members

Because of USAA's affiliation with the Air Force Academy they have now made their Amex and World Mastercards available to all members. 

Or so I was told.  Log in and go to the credit card applications and you will notice that the old non-rewards mastercard has been replaced by these and one other card.  

Message Edited by hemi961 on 11-27-2009 01:08 PM
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA rewards credit cards now available to all members

Do you have a link to an article or site that explains this? 
Message 2 of 28
DI
Super Contributor

I now have the option to apply for a card online too. Too bad I cannot afford to app for another card right now.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=banking_credit_cards_main
Message 3 of 28
hemi961
Regular Contributor

txjohn,

No link to anything in writing and I know it is dangerous to take the word of CSR's but I'm a limited member and yesterday I logged in and went to the credit card application portion of the site.  There was an option to apply for the AMEX and World Mastercard, so I did and was approved for the AMEX card.  In the past you could go to the main USAA page and click the apply button for the AMEX card and then log in and an application would appear, however this appears to have been a glitch in the system.  I recall reading of one person who applied this way and got an approval only to have the card cancelled because he wasn't a full member.  However, now when you log in and go to the link to apply it asks for your pin number and the application comes up with you personal information already filled in.  I was skeptical about this so I called in and talked not only to the CSR who answered but also to an underwriter.  They both indicated that as a result of their recent affiliation with the Air Force Academy (sometime just after they changed their other elligibility requirements), they agreed to open their credit products to all members.  Part of the reason might be that one of the other credit cards that appears is an Air Force Affinity card which would be available non-military personnel. This doesn't apply to insurance and other products that limited members haven't been able to acquire.

Message 4 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Are they BK Friendly?
Message 5 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

USAA is awfully conservative. They might be able to handle a BK in the far, distant past, but not a newish one.

They're also pretty allergic to high util.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have no family members or close relatives in the military, is it still possible for me to get a card somehow?
Message 7 of 28
hemi961
Regular Contributor

A person has been able to get a limited membership for some time now even with no affiliation with the military.  The difference now is that you can apply for their Amex and rewards Mastercard.  Give them a call and establish membership, open savings, checking accounts and then you should be able to apply.  I've been a member for about 9 months but until now I could only get a non-rewards Mastercard with a higher APR than the cards the full members could get. 
Message 8 of 28
haiti222
Contributor

Although they were bk-friendlier in the past, I applied for the Amex recently and was turned down only for my bankruptcy. After inquiring through both the email and phone CSR, the phone CSR talked to an analyst who said they currently want 7 years from a bankruptcy.  I would guess that active duty might get a break on this....

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haiti222 wrote:

Although they were bk-friendlier in the past, I applied for the Amex recently and was turned down only for my bankruptcy. After inquiring through both the email and phone CSR, the phone CSR talked to an analyst who said they currently want 7 years from a bankruptcy.  I would guess that active duty might get a break on this....

I think more so than being "active duty" is type of membership (full or limited), length of membership and depth of relationship.  Full members get preferencial treatment.  The longer the length of membership, the better.  The more products you have through them the better (auto, home, life, checking, savings, cd's, investment, ira/retirment, etc).

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.