Did you mean: 

USAA rewards credit cards now available to all members

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA rewards credit cards now available to all members

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:

No attractions.  I prefer to have the card because it's with CU.  I want to start banking more with CU's instead of big banks.

Correct me if I am wrong but USAA ss not a CU. They are a bank..

Correct, they are a FSB. 

Message 21 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

idmd wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:

No attractions.  I prefer to have the card because it's with CU.  I want to start banking more with CU's instead of big banks.

Correct me if I am wrong but USAA ss not a CU. They are a bank..

Correct, they are a FSB. 

You'll see this a lot here on the forums, both because of the "feel" of USAA and because of how it's treating for FICO scoring purposes.

USAA is a Federal Savings Bank that is part of a membership organization, thus the CU "feel." The FICO scoring formulas do not regard it as a national-level bank, but instead as a CU or local bank. We discovered this a year or so ago when a member who only had CC's from USAA and (I think) a CU got a ding on a FICO score report for not having any cards from a national bank, and it was confirmed by the myFICO admin.

It's not a big ding, by any means, but it's there, and something people might want to consider if all they have are CU (and USAA) cards.

USAA is still my go-to institution, regardless of which category in which it falls.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

As further testament to the membership and "CU feel", USAA Plans to return $500 million to members in the form of dividends and distributions:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=2009_11_Member_Meeting&offerName=prihome_2009_...

This is double the dividends/distributions of last year.

USAA is a great company.  I enjoy my annual dividend the end of each year, while I enjoy their service all year.

In fact, when was the last time anyone got a dividend from their bank or CU?  Our dividend has been anywhere from $50 to well over $100 just on our auto policy.  Now that we have homeowners, life, valuable property, umbrella, auto, etc. I am interested to see if our "share" of dividend goes up proportionately?

Message Edited by txjohn on 12-03-2009 05:32 AM
Message 23 of 28
haiti222
Contributor

DFCU, here in Michigan, is again giving all of its members at least $50 in dividends this January. The amount given to each member is calculated based on average loan and deposit amounts, and can be several hundred dollars a year if all banking/loan products are with them. Anyone who lives or works or worships in most of Michigan can join........

http://www.dfcufinancial.com/paystobelong/special_dividend.asp 

Message 24 of 28
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE:

I logged on to USAA today, and I am no longer offered the rewards World MC and Amex under credit cards. Back to just the standard non-rewards MC for non-military. Is this a snatch-back or a system quirk to be remedied?

USAA....you're great but you really need to get your self together.

Edit to add:  I'm also offered the "Military Group" card, which seems to have the Air Force affiliation.  Supposedly, that affiliation is what prompted the opening of all cards to all members.  Hopefully, we'll know the story soon enough.  If you click apply, this card states:  "Your application for the Association of Graduates U.S. Air Force Academy World MasterCard® will only take minutes to complete."  

Message Edited by TangMeister on 12-03-2009 12:33 PM
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TangMeister wrote:

UPDATE:

I logged on to USAA today, and I am no longer offered the rewards World MC and Amex under credit cards. Back to just the standard non-rewards MC for non-military. Is this a snatch-back or a system quirk to be remedied?

Edit to add:  I'm also offered the "Military Group" card, which seems to have the Air Force affiliation.  Supposedly, that affiliation is what prompted the opening of all cards to all members.  Hopefully, we'll know the story soon enough.  If you click apply, this card states:  "Your application for the Association of Graduates U.S. Air Force Academy World MasterCard® will only take minutes to complete."  

My guess….and this is only a guess….. like all companies USAA is looking for a certain mix or portfolio of customers which prompts the pre approval process. Once their goals are met the pre approvals are off the table. I've never known a pre approval that didn't have a finite amount of time or a specific "good until" date associated with the offer. It's unreasonable to think their offers are going to be indefinite - especially in this market.  
As markets, USAA's customer portfolio, etc change so will their pre-approval offers.  

Unless your situation has changed greatly I would think even with the pre-approval off the table you have a great chance of being accepted.

Message Edited by idmd on 12-03-2009 04:34 PM
Message 26 of 28
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TangMeister wrote:

UPDATE:

My guess….and this is only a guess….. like all companies USAA is looking for a certain mix or portfolio of customers which prompts the pre approval process. Once their goals are met the pre approvals are off the table. I've never known a pre approval that didn't have a finite amount of time or a specific "good until" date associated with the offer. It's unreasonable to think their offers are going to be indefinite - especially in this market.  
As markets, USAA's customer portfolio, etc change so will their pre-approval offers.  

Unless your situation has changed greatly I would think even with the pre-approval off the table you have a great chance of being accepted.

Message Edited by idmd on 12-03-2009 04:34 PM

I appreciate what you're saying, but this is not a pre-approval or custom-tailored offers issue....this is a membership-related eligibility issue affecting all non-military USAA members. 
Message 27 of 28
llecs
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.