Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA versus NFCU scoring for CCs?

tag
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

USAA versus NFCU scoring for CCs?

Do USAA and NFCU use the same scoring system for credit card approvals? I am basically trying to figure out do I wait to apply with NFCU since I have a new USAA. I also have new TLs that just hit my good looking EQ cr Smiley Wink Orrrrr go for it right now and start gardening everything together? Decisions. Decisions. Scores/TLs are in my sig. Advice/navagation tips very much appreciated!

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: USAA versus NFCU scoring for CCs?

No, they are different creditors and each has their own criteria for approvals.    Not sure who USAA pulls but NFCU pulls either EQ or TU.    

NFCU is pretty much the best creditor out there for approvals and generous limits, so IMO you shouldn't worry about waiting to apply with them.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
A_Madel
Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

No, they are different creditors and each has their own criteria for approvals.    Not sure who USAA pulls but NFCU pulls either EQ or TU.    

NFCU is pretty much the best creditor out there for approvals and generous limits, so IMO you shouldn't worry about waiting to apply with them.

+1. USAA pulled EQ for me.

Current: EQ 791 / TU 788 / EX 752 FICO's (MyFico, Oct 2012)

*** NFCU Plat | USAA CR Amex | PenFed TR Amex | BOA Gold | JP Morgan Select | Amex BCP | Amex PRG | USAA Plat ***
Message 3 of 10
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

USAA typically pulls EQ. That has always been the case for me.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 4 of 10
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

NFCU is a far better than USAA with regards to CL and having lax standards comparative to USAA.  Maybe because USAA is a bank, and not a CU. 

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 10
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

awesome. thanks everyone!! Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 6 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Repo-ed wrote:

NFCU is a far better than USAA with regards to CL and having lax standards comparative to USAA.  Maybe because USAA is a bank, and not a CU. 

In fairness, NFCU has lax standards compared to pretty much everyone, bank, CU, or otherwise.  They're hailed here as, if you can get access, you want to be doing business with them, for good reason when it comes to credit.

USAA is EQ all the time currently, NFCU will pull any of the three but predominantly EQ, TU.

        
Message 7 of 10
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

@revelate love the name!

Yeah, I am pulling the trigger today. I figure if USAA approved me, theres no telling how high my limit will be with NFCU. (you should have seen my face when my card came in the mail and I used it at the pump lol *plastered grin*) I am in need of a third major reporting card; I feel like they are the right choice. Also Ive read USAA great for services, but if you want to be taken care of, feel valued and grow, then its NFCU!

Message 8 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, NFCU + USAA are a fantastic combination; personally if I had access to NFCU I'd go with those two and then some big bank (Chase in my case, though BOFA/Wells would probably be fine too) along with Amex and my financial relationships would pretty much be done other than auto/mortgage loans possibly.

You're in a great spot with access to both going forward.

        
Message 9 of 10
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

Thanks Rev! I am truly excited about my progress and really everyone's progress. These boards have made so much possible; I am grateful. I actually applied for a Southwest Airlines through Chase and those jokers denied me lol. I just knew I was approved! I called and the rep said it was my collection (in dispute) I plan on calling again today because I just got a score jump of 100+ points on my TU! I want the Chase card because those were my top three. USAA, NFCU & Chase...its a nice financial blend in my book-and i honestly think myfico scoring system looks at that even tho I have no proof of such. It will be gardening after that...wootwoot!!! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.