Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA vs, NFCU secured CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA vs, NFCU secured CC

I'm not exactly sure what the USAA Classic card is. The CSR said that when you apply for the USAA AmEx or MasterCard, if you don't qualify then they counteroffer the Classic card. I'm pretty sure she used the term "graduate" (though I could be mixing up terminology at this point). Basically, if you pay on time, etc you can move from the classic card to the AmEx or MasterCard assuming you meet all of the criteria? I'll call again on Monday to get more detailed info.
Message 11 of 30
drkaje
Senior Contributor

If eligible, I'd go with NFCU. They're far more generous with limits than USAA.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Message 13 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what the USAA Classic card is. The CSR said that when you apply for the USAA AmEx or MasterCard, if you don't qualify then they counteroffer the Classic card. I'm pretty sure she used the term "graduate" (though I could be mixing up terminology at this point). Basically, if you pay on time, etc you can move from the classic card to the AmEx or MasterCard assuming you meet all of the criteria? I'll call again on Monday to get more detailed info.

If you get any more information I'd love to hear about it, especially if they offer what they're looking for on it.  I'm a full member at USAA (though not NFCU), in a similar credit situation, the USAA product might be useful eventually though I suspect they're looking for a higher qualification than what I have currently score/report wise.  I somewhat doubt it's a secured card at all.

With the option though, I'd pick NFCU > USAA from everything I've read here over the past few months.  That said, if this is your first card, you may simply want to do both.

        
Message 14 of 30
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you get any more information I'd love to hear about it, especially if they offer what they're looking for on it.  I'm a full member at USAA (though not NFCU), in a similar credit situation, the USAA product might be useful eventually though I suspect they're looking for a higher qualification than what I have currently score/report wise.  I somewhat doubt it's a secured card at all.

With the option though, I'd pick NFCU > USAA from everything I've read here over the past few months.  That said, if this is your first card, you may simply want to do both.

Doing both is a great idea... I second that emotion!

It wouldn't hurt to build relationships with both NFCU and USAA

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 30
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I was going to suggest both too but we all just gave suggestions to go with NFCU.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll call on Monday & get the info on the classic card. From what the CSR told me, it's an unsecured CC. I'll PM you when I get the info.
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a CC with USAA but do have an established relationship with them (checking, savings, IRA, money market & 3 insurances). Just started my relationship with NFCU. Since I already have 2 CC (capital one & AmEx), I'll start with NFCU & then see about adding a USAA one later one. Thanks for all of the help!
Message 18 of 30
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

I have the Classic Amex with USAA but have only had it for a month, so I'm not sure about any upgrading or graduation.  It does have a $39 annual fee, though.  I do think it is just a sort of rebuilder, even though they gave me a limit of $1K.  NFCU approved me for the cashRewards at $7K on the same day.  So NFCU > USAA if you're considering going unsecured.

Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow! That's a HUGE difference! I'm definitely going to go with NFCU as soon as I'm ready to take that leap!
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.