Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA vs PENFED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA vs PENFED

I use USAA for my car insurance and other types of insurance but not for banking or cc. I hear all the time how great USAA is but I also hear how wonderful PENFED is.

From your personal experience or own dd what do you believe is the best option for banking and cc?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: USAA vs PENFED

I do banking and insurance with USAA, including a World MC and AmEx, and I have the PenFed Plat Visa (the "gas card") and a car loan. I'm happy with this set-up.

I don't think that you can beat USAA as a total package, but that PenFed gas card is incredible, and their auto loan was a lot cheaper (= lower APR) than USAA's.

But I recommend either or both as highly as I can. And supposedly PenFed is upgrading their website in a few more days. Woot!!!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
oracles
Valued Contributor

I too have heard USAA is great, however i do not qualify for them.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HTSU sounds like you have the best of the best!! haha

Where and what rate are you getting for your savings/emergency savings. (I also know you like to use your roth as an emergency fund lol so Im not talking about that)
Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I save around $500 per biweekly paycheck, in addition to the $900-something that goes into my retirement account, so I don't have big chunks of money to get the better rates.

Oh, their savings account rate is something pitiful. It's so low that I don't even remember. Money market isn't much, either.

I have four $1K CD's, and they're all around 3.25%. Whenever I get another spare $1000 saved, I get another CD, generally for 6 or 7 months, so there aren't killer rates on that. But hey, it's safe, and it's earning something, and that's more than I can say for my other poor investments.

Most of my Roth is in their GNMA trust, and I made about 7.5% on it last year, through all the horrendous mess. Principal and interest are guaranteed; as I recall, your only risk is that the posted interest will fall, due to declining mortgage rates, I suppose. But at least you know what it is.

And seven and a quarter is a heckuva lot better than how I've done on anything else --retirement TSP, you name it.

USAA savings rates

USAA CD rates

The CD rates are lower now, of course, with the prime rate so low.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-22-2009 11:58 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have HSBCDIRECT online savings but even that rate has fallen to 2.6 or around that area. I of course could get higher in a cd but that defeats the purpose of "emergency" savings.

I love USAA insurance because it is a great rate and the cs is awesome.  The PENFED platinum visa card looks like its next on my list. I currently have citi diamond preferred rewards card which is great and all but the rewards are not as good after the 1 year intro special. My wife opened one under her name after my 1 year with my card but her year will be up soon so I think its time to move to something different again.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Most of my Roth is in their GNMA trust, and I made about 7.5% on it last year, through all the horrendous mess. Principal and interest are guaranteed; as I recall, your only risk is that the posted interest will fall, due to declining mortgage rates, I suppose. But at least you know what it is.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 01-22-2009 11:58 AM

posted interest will fall? I'm confused...say more please.

Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Pj1369 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

posted interest will fall? I'm confused...say more please.

Oh, dear, you're going to make me remember what was in my fevered brain back in January, aren't you?? Smiley Very Happy

OK, from their site:

USAA GNMA Trust (USGNX)

* Provides potential income you can take or reinvest.
* No credit risk; principal and interest are guaranteed by U.S. government.
* Higher income potential than U.S. Treasuries.

Investor Risk Profile

The fund's investment objective is to provide a high level of current income consistent with preservation of principal. Normally at least 80% of the fund's assets will be invested in GNMA securities backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. Government. These securities typically take the form of pass-through certificates, which represent ownership in a pool of mortgage loans.
For the bit about "posted interest will fall", I think I was trying to say that as the APR's on the underlying mortgages fall, so will the return on the fund. It's a taxable bond fund, so you do have some heads-up as to what it will be paying. And it's waaaay down this year, sadly.

It has still out-performed my regular mixed-bond fund, the one that's supposed to track the Barclays Capital U.S. Aggregate (U.S. Aggregate) Index, which I could swear used to be called the Lehman Brothers Something-Something Index. Back when there was a Lehman Brothers, of course.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhh, I see, thanks!! Hmmm...I think I'm going to stick with my MITFX fund...it has NTF for USAA and it's doing great still...thanks for sharing!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.