Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAlliance Credit cards. Any good?

tag
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

USAlliance Credit cards. Any good?

I have an account with US Alliance in MA. They have three cards that I occasionally get offers for; nothing special, no rewards or anything.

Link to cards -> https://www.usalliance.org/products-and-services/loan-products/credit-cards

However, I've read on the forum that CU credit cards are desireable, for some reason. High limits, perhaps? I don't really know.

I have no intention of getting new cards soon. My credit file is only 2 years old (I'm not from the US), and I have some decent cards. Chase Freedom-3.5k, BoFA Visa Signature-5k, Amex BCP-1k, Amex Gold. I got these cards to build a credit history, so that I can get a good rate for a car I'm planning to buy later this year (or early 2014). I plan to 3x CLI the Amex in a few weeks, and then sit pretty. Utilization across all cards is currently less than 1%, and I always pay in full. No individual card is over 2% util either.

So, is it good to have a credit card from a credit union? I could get one later this year, I suppose, if there's a good reason.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: USAlliance Credit cards. Any good?

Yes, it is good have a credit card from a credit union.  They have better terms than the banks.  I think you have a chance to get approved for one of their cards. You can apply  right now. Why wait?

Ron.

Message 2 of 10
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

Thanks Ron. I don't want to apply right now cause I'd rather age the cards I have, and have no real need for another card. I was just curious. If it's really good to get a CU CC (heh), I'll apply early next year, when these cards have aged a bit.

Message 3 of 10
Ron1
Super Contributor

@RandomCreditDude wrote:

Thanks Ron. I don't want to apply right now cause I'd rather age the cards I have, and have no real need for another card. I was just curious. If it's really good to get a CU CC (heh), I'll apply early next year, when these cards have aged a bit.

You're welcome. It depends on their credit requirement. Some of them require longer history to qualify for their cards. I think they're pretty easy to get. You already have banking relationship with them .  I think you have a good chance to get approved. They have some lind of rewards on the Platinum cards.

Ron.

Message 4 of 10
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Something to think about on the CU card is that if you did app now it would have time to age some before the new loan.  If you're going to wait until later in the year you should wait until after the car.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

They just add a bunch of new benefits...  Free phone insurance if you pay your cell phone bill with your USAlliance Visa card, price protection, and muche more...  They are also rolling out free monthly credit score soon too... 

Message 6 of 10
QFJFKSYD
Valued Member

Can anyone confirm if they (usalliance) report to all three bureaus?
Message 7 of 10
jibaro
New Visitor

Yes they report to the 3 bureaus.
Message 8 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Cu cards have one or more of the following... the usual key feature is the apr... many cus have apr in the 7 to 9s for their best rate... some have really generous credit limits, and some have ok to good rewards at the cost of a higher apr. And some are willing to give a card with less than ideal credit.. and the apr will eventually lower sometimes even on its own. My cu card is 8.something and is good when I need to finance a major purchase.. other more rewards cards are really to pif or close to it

Rates for Us Alliance

https://www.usalliance.org/about-us/rates/loan-rates

Message 9 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They just add a bunch of new benefits...  Free phone insurance if you pay your cell phone bill with your USAlliance Visa card, price protection, and muche more...  They are also rolling out free monthly credit score soon too... 

Which bureau? EQ, EX, TU?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.