Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB cash+ VS odds

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

USB cash+ VS odds

I want to apply for USB cash+ VS card (Fico8~760, ~3-4 INQ across 3 CSR in the last year, no balance). I am a new customer and I want this CC for its 5% cashback.

There is also ~200$ SUB for checking (it requires SP) that I am interested (the promo codes seem to be personal and I don't have for the moment).

What is the best strategy to get CC approval?

1. Cold app for CC online.

2. Go to a branch and submit app for CC. After approval and if receiving the 200$ SUB for checking, apply later for checking.

3. If there is a way to receive 200$ SUB for checking, apply for checking first and then, apply for CC.

4. Forget the SUB for checking. Open a checking without SUB and then, apply for CC.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
10 REPLIES 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: USB cash+ VS odds

Try their prequal site first. It's been pretty accurate IME. I was prequalified for a couple of cards with a set APR, applied and got the Cash+ VS about 3 weeks ago. Brand new customer too.

The other way, and probably best way, is to go for the checking account, and by doing that, during the application process, they'll show you the cards that you're pre-qualified for. Then you apply.

With your profile, I wouldn't worry about getting approved unless there's some bad history that you're not willing to share.

Message 2 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I unlocked my credit reports and went to the prequal step. But received "We're sorry. We don't have any special offers for you at this time."

What is the expected Fico8 to receive USB CC offers? Any rule like 5/24 Chase, number of INQ per year, etc.?

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I was approved through the prequal page for the Cash+.  I was LOL/24 with around 7-9 INQs per bureau in the past year, scores around 735-740 (although I believe USB uses TU 04 and not FICO 08 models).  Along with a handful of other posters, I received a shockingly low $500 approval (which I didn't find out until the card arrived since most card applications seem to not be instant approvals) but a quick call to their underwriting team turned that into $15,000 the next day without an additional hard pull.  Honestly I don't see an issue with you being approved if you app cold.

Message 4 of 11
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030wrote:

I unlocked my credit reports and went to the prequal step. But received "We're sorry. We don't have any special offers for you at this time."

What is the expected Fico8 to receive USB CC offers? Any rule like 5/24 Chase, number of INQ per year, etc.?

Like K-in-Boston said, they used a different scoring system. I'm not well-versed on all the different scoring types, and I really don't care much, but they used Experian Fico Classic V3. That's what's on the letter I got. Surprisingly, my score was 695 using that score. But my Fico8 EX is or was at the time 751. Big gap in my case.

I had a bunch of inquiries and new accounts, and got approved for a $5k SL. 10 days later, I applied for their Altitude Reserve card, and also got it approved after UW review. Since December, I've opened 7 new credit cards, 1 overdraft LOC that came with my checking at PenFed, which annoyingly shows on my reports too. I was denied 3 cards, and requested a CLI with a HP. So a ton of inquiries as well.

If there's anyone who should be denied a card with US Bank, that's me. Oh and if you noticed, I also have a BK7. You're worrying a bit too much.

Message 5 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

OK. I think the best way is going to a branch (to minimize upcoming ID document requests) and submit the CC application for possible instant approval.

USB also has the following SUB offer for checking:

https://www.usbank.com/splash/checking/zelle-offer.html

Assuming the CC would be granted, I think there is a higher chance that I receive such personallized offers.

Message 6 of 11
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030wrote:

OK. I think the best way is going to a branch (to minimize upcoming ID document requests) and submit the CC application for possible instant approval.

USB also has the following SUB offer for checking:

https://www.usbank.com/splash/checking/zelle-offer.html

Assuming the CC would be granted, I think there is a higher chance that I receive such personallized offers.

I did it all online and on the phone. If you feel like you need to go to a branch, and it's convenient, then go for it and best of luck!

Message 7 of 11
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

I was approved through the prequal page for the Cash+.  I was LOL/24 with around 7-9 INQs per bureau in the past year, scores around 735-740 (although I believe USB uses TU 04 and not FICO 08 models).  Along with a handful of other posters, I received a shockingly low $500 approval (which I didn't find out until the card arrived since most card applications seem to not be instant approvals) but a quick call to their underwriting team turned that into $15,000 the next day without an additional hard pull.  Honestly I don't see an issue with you being approved if you app cold.

I’ve got the same score, mind sharing what income you told them you have? And is it your first USB card?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied online a few years back.  My score was a little over 700 or so.  Approved for the minimum $5000 to be Visa Signature.  Feel like I got lucky.  Did not come with intro APR or bonus offers.  Operator told me I did not apply correctly to receive those and after I whined a little while longer they gave me $50 as a bonus.  Good luck.  Love the card. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am showing pre-qualify with FICOs around 720. 150 dollar sign up bonus for 500 dollars spend. Not sure it's worth a new account for that. Maybe combined with bank account bonus.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.