Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBank playing hardball on Travel Rewards Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USBank playing hardball on Travel Rewards Visa

I signed up for the USBank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa late last August, so just approaching its first anniversary. I took advantage of the summer Olympics promo, but have continued to use the card for $100-$200 of spending per month. I'm not interested in paying the annual fee, so I called customer service. I poked around that I was thinking about cancelling the card because I didn't want to pay the annual fee. "Ok, we can cancel the card." Poked around about isn't there some way to avoid the annual fee. Explained while I liked the features of the card when I opened it, since then, point redemptions had been devalued and point earnings are being reduced for charitable contributions. As such, it isn't worth the annual fee to me any more. "Well, you'll have to decide that for yourself; we can close the card or you can pay the annual fee."

Called back again, got a different CSR. Went slightly different route; explained that I didn't want to pay the annual fee and why (rewards deflation) and asked about converting to a different USBank card product (thinking Cash+). He went away for a few seconds and came back and said, "no, there are no conversion offers available to you for this card." None? I pressed further and mentioned Cash+ specifically. Nope, I can't convert the card to the Cash+ or any other card. I can close it or pay the annual fee.

I have 8,000 FlexPerks points available on this card, and you can only redeem in increments of $50. (I had thought it was that you needed to have *at least* 5,000 points to redeem, but you can only redeem in *increments* of 5,000.) I've already transferred the max points this year to my wife's account. I either cash out at $50 and leave $30 on the table, or pay the annual fee. Another idea I had was to transfer 20,000 points back from my wife's account to mine. That will give me an even 10,000 points. I cash out for $100 and close the account. That's probably the route I will take.

Sad to think that USBank doesn't like me enough to keep me around. Smiley Sad

Chris.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USBank playing hardball on Travel Rewards Visa

The bank's CSRs probably have your internal profit score visible, or the UW at least show you as a profitable or not profitable user of the card.

My guess is that they see you're just a financial loss and if they waive the fee or PC you to a fee-free card, they likely won't see any profit either way.

Anything spooky on your credit reports or your history with USBank?

Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Some say age is just a number, but i think it was actually banks that adhere to saying WE are just a numberSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

100 to 200 a month spend is very small. You aren't profitable to them.  

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The bank's CSRs probably have your internal profit score visible, or the UW at least show you as a profitable or not profitable user of the card.

My guess is that they see you're just a financial loss and if they waive the fee or PC you to a fee-free card, they likely won't see any profit either way.

Anything spooky on your credit reports or your history with USBank?

Nope, nothing really scary on my report, except for a lot (45) of cards, mostly at $0 balance.

FICO is around 820, but if they dig into the details, they'd see that yes, I PIF everything.

And if they look at my USBank history specifically, they'll see that most months I do charge very little, and nearly 100% of that is in bonus categories.

So very much a loser of a customer (in bank profit terms).

Chris.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So just closed the card after cashing out my rewards and setting myself up for another $215 cash. 😀

First logged in as DW and transferred 2000 points. Logged in as me and points were immediately available. Cool. Then went to redeem the 10k points for $100. Two options: statement credit or deposit to Usbank account. Statement credit doesn't seem optimal, because it would immediately be reduced by the $49 annual fee already charged to the account. So deposit account it is. I don't have a Usbank deposit account. But DW does, so I put in that checking account number. No go. Apparently name has to match. Boo. So I guess I need to open a Usbank deposit account. But first I do a Google search for Usbank checking bonus and see that there's a $200 bonus offer for opening an account through 8/21. What the heck, I get the offer code and fill out the application. Get to the funding page and see that I can fund with a credit card for up to $500. So I use my alliant 3%-on-everything card, earning me an additional $15 in cashback.

But once again, when I called to close the CC, CSR didn't make the vaguest attempt to talk me out of closing the card. I must score really really low on their profit score, which would be accurate. Smiley Wink

Chris.
Message 6 of 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

It doesn't surprise me that US Bank made no effort to retain you.  Most financial institutions do not seem willing to waive fees and offer bonuses to retain cardholders.  Chase, Citi, and Amex certainly do, but we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that generous retention offers are an industry-wide practice.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

First Premier offered me a $35 statement credit if I didnt cancel.  I wasnt impressed

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 8 of 10
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

US Bank will not waive annual fees for anyone, so don't feel like they dislike like you, it's just their policy. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 9 of 10
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

They switched me to the Cash+ from the flexperks no problem. So I guess its a YMMV

Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.