Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USC CU Platinum Rewards vs Citi DC & BoA TR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USC CU Platinum Rewards vs Citi DC & BoA TR

Hi all -

So my oldest credit line and my largest CL ($1500) in my young 1 year credit history is my USC Credit Union Platinum Rewards card, which offers 2pt/$ for groceries and gas and 1pt/$ for everything else; for redemption, 6250pt is $50, meaning 1pt is actually less than 1cent. I also have a Citi Double Cash ($700) and a BoA Travel Rewards ($800).

I was thinking that the redemption rate on my USC Rewards is rather poor, and hence I would leave the USC card open to maintain my AAoA up but shift most of my spending over to the DC and TR, since credit utilization isn't per card, I always PIF, and I often pay early anyway. Does this sound like a good plan? The only time I'd feel compelled to use the USC card is if I'm making a large purchase my TR can't handle out of country (USC card also has zero FTF, and I foresee at least 1-2 trips abroad per year in the coming years).

Related, I was planning on adding an Amazon Prime Store Card to my portfolio soon, but does anyone have any other card recommendations?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: USC CU Platinum Rewards vs Citi DC & BoA TR

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all -

So my oldest credit line and my largest CL ($1500) in my young 1 year credit history is my USC Credit Union Platinum Rewards card, which offers 2pt/$ for groceries and gas and 1pt/$ for everything else; for redemption, 6250pt is $50, meaning 1pt is actually less than 1cent. I also have a Citi Double Cash ($700) and a BoA Travel Rewards ($800).

I was thinking that the redemption rate on my USC Rewards is rather poor, and hence I would leave the USC card open to maintain my AAoA up but shift most of my spending over to the DC and TR, since credit utilization isn't per card, I always PIF, and I often pay early anyway. Does this sound like a good plan? The only time I'd feel compelled to use the USC card is if I'm making a large purchase my TR can't handle out of country (USC card also has zero FTF, and I foresee at least 1-2 trips abroad per year in the coming years).

Related, I was planning on adding an Amazon Prime Store Card to my portfolio soon, but does anyone have any other card recommendations?

Nothing wrong with shifting your spend to what works for you. I'm sure you do realize though that except for travel purchase redemptions, the BOA Travel card fares no better with redemption values -- gift cards, cash etc get way less than 1cent/1 point. I'm assuming you know this though.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah, of course, wasn't gonna redeem for anything besides travel from the TR.

Wanted to make sure, I haven't done the specific math, but wanted to know for USC card - it's generally accepted that redeeming points for stuff other than cash (electronics, etc) unless with a card known to be good for a particular category is a poor value, right?

Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh yeah, of course, wasn't gonna redeem for anything besides travel from the TR.

Wanted to make sure, I haven't done the specific math, but wanted to know for USC card - it's generally accepted that redeeming points for stuff other than cash (electronics, etc) unless with a card known to be good for a particular category is a poor value, right?

Yes, usually redeeming for "stuff" is a bad value on almost any card. Merchandise is basically never recommended as a redemption option unless there is a steep point discount on it

Message 4 of 8
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all -

I'd say SD the CU card and use it for your foreign spend, since there's no FTF.   CU cards can also be handy if you ever need to BT, so there's definitely good reasons to keep it open.

Have you looked into Sallie Mae MC?   They have 5% cash back on groceries, gas, and bookstores.   Since Amazon is a bookstore, it counts.   However, if you need special financing for large Amazon purchases, their store card is a good option

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, usually redeeming for "stuff" is a bad value on almost any card. Merchandise is basically never recommended as a redemption option unless there is a steep point discount on it

Why is that? Unless im understanding your post wrong. If you just redemmed awards, let's say, on a CB card like the Citi DC as a statement credit, wouldnt that in essence be the same as "redeeming" for whatever it is..travel, check, gift card, etc

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is that? Unless im understanding your post wrong. If you just redemmed awards, let's say, on a CB card like the Citi DC as a statement credit, wouldnt that in essence be the same as "redeeming" for whatever it is..travel, check, gift card, etc

Redemption rates on umbrellas purses etc. are often less than 1c per point (eg 5000 points for a $40 purse). In that case, a $50 statement credit is better, and if you want the purse, you can buy it for $40 and pocket the extra $10.

In general, transfer to travel partner > redeeming through travel portal > statement credit/check/direct deposit > merchandise. But some travel partners are awful value so it's always best to check ahead of time (ideally before you even app).

Message 7 of 8
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all -

hey, speaking of USC Platinum Reward card, How long did it take for you to receive your card from the day you apped?

I'm interested in BT......( I just received a pre-approved email up to 10,000 and promo until 3/2017 and apr up to 17% depending on credit)

And did you app online or at the branch?

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.