cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh! Need computer, which card to use? Or new one?

tag
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Ugh! Need computer, which card to use? Or new one?

once you go lap, you never go back.

17" monitor is great

keyboard is wide and perfect (with numbpad)

wireless and mobile around the house (including print)

touchpads are like touch screens now...

1 finger tap to click

2 finger tap to right click

1 finger slide to move mouse and grab/throw screen

2 finger slide to scroll

very light and fast these days

quiet and cool

$500 buys you a fast and reliable MS based lappy (not sure of MAC OS price these days)

i run and program an online poker based website and have won many members over to lappy (which they now LOVE) after their desktops died and none of them went back to that hard chair at the desk with a mouse and these are hard core log-ins of many hours a day (like us).

Message 21 of 46
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No, it doesn't but my phone is apple and I love it! I'm familiar with it, plus I love Apples photo editor thing. But I'm clueless right now! Don't know where to look! I have a newer 27" monitor, and I could buy the "hard drive" from apple and its cheaper!! The guy at apple store told me that if I'm looking to keep my nice monitor, I could just purchase the "hard drive" and I have a "apple computer".
Message 22 of 46
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Now if I can just find a "grocery store" that sells Mac computers, I'll get 2 pts per $ for that purchase! And great idea on the balance transfer thing to navy! This is why I love the forums!! People come in with different idea and bounce them off everyone ! That is definitely something I can do and still stay in the garden! Plus my Barclays card has a $2800 cl enough for the purchase. Mmmm

Go to the Barclay Rewards boost. They have the apple store listed. 2 points for ever dollar. Its like they want you to make this purchase and then transfer and pay interest to someone else.

Message 23 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
No, it doesn't but my phone is apple and I love it! I'm familiar with it, plus I love Apples photo editor thing. But I'm clueless right now! Don't know where to look! I have a newer 27" monitor, and I could buy the "hard drive" from apple and its cheaper!! The guy at apple store told me that if I'm looking to keep my nice monitor, I could just purchase the "hard drive" and I have a "apple computer".

Eh..

It's your money.. Smiley Tongue

Message 24 of 46
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

So, first I could PC my navy nrewards to flagship, then purchase my new computer with Barclays (get points), then balance transfer Barclays to my new navy flagship, and get points. Wait... Do I get points for transferring balances or only on purchases?
Message 25 of 46
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
So, first I could PC my navynrewards to flagship, then purchase my new computer withBarclays (get points), then balance transferBarclays to my new navy flagship, and get points. Wait... Do I get points for transferring balances or only on purchases?

No. Balance transfers dont accrue points. I do admire your spirit though lol.

Message 26 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
So, first I could PC my navy nrewards to flagship, then purchase my new computer with Barclays (get points), then balance transfer Barclays to my new navy flagship, and get points. Wait... Do I get points for transferring balances or only on purchases?

Check with NFCU, but I'm willing to bet it's only on purchases.

Message 27 of 46
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Diabol.... I forgot about Barclays rewards boost!! Omg.. This just might be possible after all lol!!Smiley Happy Thank you for reminding me! And if I play my cards right... I'm hoping for a cli from Barclays in march at my one year! Purchasing and paying off this computer between now and then might help me obtain that!Smiley Happy (maybe) lol
Message 28 of 46
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

LOL Youre welcome. Rewards make me happy. They are the icing on the cake.

Message 29 of 46
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

My 15 yro Dell desktop bit the dust. I want a Mac bad, and I know that Barclays has the Apple financing visa, which would be awesome for me, since I've recently got a lot of new expenses because moving to an apt. The 0% Apple financing for a year would be awesome, and then pay it off before the promotional period ends, then transfer my limit to my Barclays rewards MasterCard??

I also have my Navy visa, and Cap 1 QS, all Three major cards are at a $0 bal right now. Thoughts on how to approach this? I'd have to leave the garden for The apple visaSmiley Sad 

I would go with a card with an extended warranty. It's too bad you can't get an AMEX or Discover, since they seem to be the easiest to get an extended warranty claim out of. I would check about your Cap 1 QS and Navy Visa to see if they offer extended warranties. I know that the Barclaycard should (both my Ring and Sallie Mae do).

As far as laptop vs desktop, I have both. I use a Mac mini for my primary desktop at home (http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/). They're actually surprisingly powerful for how much they cost. I got mine for less than $1000, and I use it to write/compile code (mostly Java and Objective-C, the language used on Macs and iOS devices), Photoshop, iMovie (the built in movie editor) and iPhoto (the built in photo management software). I have had mine for over 2.5 years and it's been a great computer.

I also have a PC desktop that I use to write software in Windows (C# and Java) and other Windows-only things.

I of course use things like Excel, Word, Firefox, and Thunderbird on both desktops (and my laptops). If that's all you use your computer for (Email, Web Browsing, Word Processing, Spreadsheets, etc), then it doesn't matter what you get. OS X and Windows are basically the same as far as that's concerned.

I also have two MacBook Pros (http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/). My latest one I got in December not because my old one died, but because it took forever to do what I needed it to do (I'm a fairly heavy computer user, I do a lot more than email and web browsing). I also do the same things I do on the Mac mini on this computer too. I still have my 5+ year old MacBook Pro as a spare just in case something happens with the new one. As far as which card I used for that, I used my Discover because of the 5% cash back and extended warranty. But it seems that that's not an option for you.

As far as a printer is concerned, I have a wireless Epson that I use between all of my computers, and it works great for me.

If you have any specific questions about Windows vs OS X or Laptop vs Desktop, feel free to let me know, and I'll try to help you out.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.