cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh..getting really sick of GEMB's out of the blue reporting...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh..getting really sick of GEMB's out of the blue reporting...

My statement will cut 14th of feb, and yet again they have managed to report my balances mid-cycle. Now i look like i am maxed-out on two of my CCs :-( the question is, can they legally do this? This is so mean :-(

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Ugh..getting really sick of GEMB's out of the blue reporting...

I dont know if its legal or not, but many CCCs report mid cycle. Looks like each CCC reports on a particular date. My DCU reports far away from my statement date, so does my bofa. My cap1 reports on statement date though.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Part of the Credit Card Act 2009 says that the due date now has to be the same day every month and that statements must be mailed at least 21 days ahead of when they are due.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 10
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

It tends to mess you up if you're planning a big-ticket purchase requiring the review of your credit report, otherwise, it's a temporary 30-day display.  It would irritate the heck outta me to have to shuffle and track dates almost every day of the month.

Message 4 of 10
JaseT
Established Contributor

Which GEMB accounts are you referring to? I have Lowes and Amazon and they always report after the statement cuts.

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

marinevet, do u mean same date every month and not same day ? i ask because one of my GEMB  accounts is always due on the same  day of the week each month but rarely the same date.  Also does the 21 days mailout apply to everyone except AMEX charge cards? mine is always due 12 days after it closes which is approx 6-7 days after it is mailed. 

Message 6 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

marinevet, do u mean same date every month and not same day ? i ask because one of my GEMB  accounts is always due on the same  day of the week each month but rarely the same date.  Also does the 21 days mailout apply to everyone except AMEX charge cards? mine is always due 12 days after it closes which is approx 6-7 days after it is mailed. 

This is copied word for word from the Credit Card Act 2009:

SEC. 106. RULES REGARDING PERIODIC STATEMENTS.

(a) In General- Section 127 of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1637) is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘(o) Due Dates for Credit Card Accounts-

‘(1) IN GENERAL- The payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be the same day each month.

‘(2) WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY DUE DATES- If the payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan is a day on which the creditor does not receive or accept payments by mail (including weekends and holidays), the creditor may not treat a payment received on the next business day as late for any purpose.’.

(b) Length of Billing Period-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 163 of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1666b) is amended to read as follows:

SEC. 163. TIMING OF PAYMENTS.

‘(a) Time To Make Payments- A creditor may not treat a payment on an open end consumer credit plan as late for any purpose, unless the creditor has adopted reasonable procedures designed to ensure that each periodic statement including the information required by section 127(b) is mailed or delivered to the consumer not later than 21 days before the payment due date.

As far as I know there are no exceptions here for any company. You might ask Amex what is going on. 

Message 7 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is copied word for word from the Credit Card Act 2009:

SEC. 106. RULES REGARDING PERIODIC STATEMENTS.

(a) In General- Section 127 of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1637) is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘(o) Due Dates for Credit Card Accounts-

‘(1) IN GENERAL- The payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be the same day each month.

‘(2) WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY DUE DATES- If the payment due date for a credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan is a day on which the creditor does not receive or accept payments by mail (including weekends and holidays), the creditor may not treat a payment received on the next business day as late for any purpose.’.

(b) Length of Billing Period-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 163 of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1666b) is amended to read as follows:

SEC. 163. TIMING OF PAYMENTS.

‘(a) Time To Make Payments- A creditor may not treat a payment on an open end consumer credit plan as late for any purpose, unless the creditor has adopted reasonable procedures designed to ensure that each periodic statement including the information required by section 127(b) is mailed or delivered to the consumer not later than 21 days before the payment due date.

As far as I know there are no exceptions here for any company. You might ask Amex what is going on. 

This does not requiire that statements be mailed not later than 21 days.    It says they can not treat the payment as late, unless they comply with the 21 days.  

I interpret this to mean ,that if Amex is late with the statement on a charge card, you can't be charged a late fee or anything else.   

However, I don't think I would try it with them.   In years past, if you were late on a charge card, they would give you a nice polite phone call reminder after a couple of weeks and they did not consider it late unless it went a whole month.    

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe charge cards fall under different rules than credit cards?

Message 9 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

This does not requiire that statements be mailed not later than 21 days.    It says they can not treat the payment as late, unless they comply with the 21 days.  

I interpret this to mean ,that if Amex is late with the statement on a charge card, you can't be charged a late fee or anything else.   

However, I don't think I would try it with them.   In years past, if you were late on a charge card, they would give you a nice polite phone call reminder after a couple of weeks and they did not consider it late unless it went a whole month.    

MyFICO says: Statements must be mailed at least 21 days ahead of when they are due.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.