Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh, oops, I just paid Barclays late.

tag
greenpang
Contributor

Ugh, oops, I just paid Barclays late.

Well, I've made my first credit mistake in over six years. DH and I got a bunch of new cards in our latest spree, and I hadn't yet enrolled them in autopay. I just realized (today, 1/15) that his US Air card had a 1/13 due date and a $20 late fee. I just paid the balance and the fee and sent them a secure message apologizing and requesting a one-time courtesy refund of the late fee.

Are there credit consequences for a late payment of less than 30 days? Is this going to be reported to the bureaus as a late payment? And will it negatively affect DH's relationship with Barclays?

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anf_dude
Contributor

Re: Ugh, oops, I just paid Barclays late.

I will Not Report To the CBs, But It Probably Will Affect Auto CLI's

Message 2 of 9
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@greenpang wrote:

Well, I've made my first credit mistake in over six years. DH and I got a bunch of new cards in our latest spree, and I hadn't yet enrolled them in autopay. I just realized (today, 1/15) that his US Air card had a 1/13 due date and a $20 late fee. I just paid the balance and the fee and sent them a secure message apologizing and requesting a one-time courtesy refund of the late fee.

Are there credit consequences for a late payment of less than 30 days? Is this going to be reported to the bureaus as a late payment? And will it negatively affect DH's relationship with Barclays?

no. it will only be reported if the account IS 30 days late and above.

regarding affect on relationship, im sure members that has had a long relationship with them will chime in.

Message 3 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anf_dude wrote:

I will Not Report To the CBs, But It Probably Will Affect Auto CLI's

^^^This

30 days + late WILL report

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 9
slweal87
Contributor

I just read in the Barclaycard Arrival Reward Rules pamplet that you "may not earn or redeem miles" during any billing cycle you miss a payment... I wonder if they would disallow the opening bonus...

1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 5 of 9
blk8
Regular Contributor

Just dont expect a auto CLI at the 6 month mark.

If this is your first payment with them, I would be very careful since you opened up a few other cards. This would be the ideal situation Barclays would close the account.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 6 of 9
greenpang
Contributor

Thanks, everyone.

I haven't heard back from them via secure message, but I'm hoping nothing bad happens...

The bonus miles had already posted to DH's US Airways account because they were earned upon first purchase in the previous billing cycle; this was the second billing cycle, which was the one that required the first payment. So I don't think they can take them away now?

He also has an Arrival card with them, which has always been paid on time, so hopefully that has a positive influence on any decision here.

Ugh. I am usually so on top of these things. I feel so stupid for having forgotten to set this one up.

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 7 of 9
rlx01
Established Contributor

Don't beat yourself up over it -- these things happen. You caught it quickly and told them about it so... No big deal.

They're not going to take away his bonus points or anything of the sort.
Message 8 of 9
rlx01
Established Contributor

The only thing to keep in mind is that you may not have any grace period on interest on any charges for the entire next statement period, so you might need to not use the card for a month (this should be clarified with Barclays CSR).
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.