Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uh...Oh.....(Sam's Club Mastercard)

tag
kingkai1990
Contributor

Uh...Oh.....(Sam's Club Mastercard)

Okay, so apart of my app spree I applied for the sam's club Mastercard. They said I was approved.....but I think they automatically forced me to the Club Credit Card instead of the Master Card. Ummm. Do they have the right to do this? I'd rather have gotten denied than a regular store card (I already have a Wally's World store card). Anyone have htis issue?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Uh...Oh.....(Sam's Club Mastercard)

All of GE (or Sychronrijeijeif whatever they're called now)'s cards are on a "what you qualify for basis." as far as I know

You apply for the Network card (visa, mastercard, discover, amex whatever it may be), and if you dont qualify for that, they run you for the in-house credit card. 

Message 2 of 11
kingkai1990
Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

All of GE (or Sychronrijeijeif whatever they're called now)'s cards are on a "what you qualify for basis." as far as I know

You apply for the Network card (visa, mastercard, discover, amex whatever it may be), and if you dont qualify for that, they run you for the in-house credit card. 

Ugh.....damn. Not really what I wanted at all. If I cancel it, wouldn't it still stay on my credit for 30 days?

Message 3 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I would just keep it. It's not hurting. You already took the inq. GE (synchrowhatever) is good about CLIs. I got my walmart card upgraded to discover in about a year. Should be able to do the same with your Sam's card. 

Message 4 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

Yes.i agree. you took the hit. but it grows very fast.

may as well keep it. i did same thing with my wally. thought i was going for discover. they did not tell me.

When i got in mail. i said. damn...

But it forced me to go directly to discover. which, i am happy with my wally. and my discover.

Congrats. even though you did not want it

Message 5 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

usually in the T&Cs you read at the bottom of the application it says "If we cannot approve you for Sam's club mastercard we will attempt to approve you for the Sam's Club Card. 

Just like when you apply for a visa sig or WMC card, it says "if we cannot approve you, you will get a platinum visa/mc w/e " 

Message 6 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@kingkai1990 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Ugh.....damn. Not really what I wanted at all. If I cancel it, wouldn't it still stay on my credit for 30 days?

if you cancel it, it will show on your credit report upto 10 years, just as any other closed credit card. You took the HP, and soon the TL, keep the card open, use it occausionally it will grow and help with your AAoA in the future, treat it fight it could get CLI's up to 10k or more, and graduate to the MC version in a year or two.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 11
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

My Sams club card went from 427 to 10k in. 11 months just charging 50-150 once a month. 

Keep it and have fun. Oh.. And hit that luv button every fourth statement!

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 8 of 11
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@kingkai1990 wrote:

Okay, so apart of my app spree I applied for the sam's club Mastercard. They said I was approved.....but I think they automatically forced me to the Club Credit Card instead of the Master Card. Ummm. Do they have the right to do this? I'd rather have gotten denied than a regular store card (I already have a Wally's World store card). Anyone have htis issue?

Yes.

You can cancel it.

Yes.

Message 9 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@kingkai1990 wrote:

Usually, the co-branded GECRB/Sync cards require scores ~700 or higher on TU.   I honestly think you jumped the gun on it, if you wanted the MC.   However, the card could upgrade down the line, so I don't recommend closing it.  There are still some perks, like being able to use special financing offers at Sams (AFAIK, you can't use special financing on a Wally card there).   Also, there's the handy "cash-over" feature.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.