Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate rewards and devals

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Ultimate rewards and devals

Given the recent devaluations in the United and Hyatt programs I believe the value of chase ultimate rewards points has taken a significant hit (my main goal is to fly premium to japan then stopping at europe on the way back to north america, I understand I can still redeem for economy at decent rates but that kinda defeats the purpose to me). Does the CSP still rank up at the top given the fact that these particular travel partners were some of the main chase partners? I could look at amex but I note that the american merger issue has been settled, so that will be going through shortly and who knows what will happen with that program. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Ultimate rewards and devals

Overall it's still a good card. The devaluation puts in somewhat in line with the other airlines and hotels.

At the end of the day, it depends on what airlines / hotels you are going to be flying with / staying at. For example, if UA wasn't part of star alliance and I can't book SQ flights through UA using my UR, then UR would be pointless for me if I insist upon flying SQ. And even if MR is a horrible deal for Krisflyer, I would still use MR-rewards card for my expenses.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
wiivile
New Contributor

I wasn't aware there was a Hyatt devaluation?

As for United, I really don't know what the big deal is. I honestly can't understand why people are so intent on flying first class. Under the current chart, I would much, much, much rather get 2 free trips to Europe in Economy than I would 1 trip in first class. This boggles my mind why some people care about this so much...

With that said, I do think that there need to be some legal regulations on these devaluations of reward points. It's almost like a bait-and-switch.

Chase Freedom Visa: 11/2009, $4,700 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,000 CL
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature: 11/2013, $15,700 CL
Message 3 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Given the recent devaluations in the United and Hyatt programs I believe the value of chase ultimate rewards points has taken a significant hit (my main goal is to fly premium to japan then stopping at europe on the way back to north america, I understand I can still redeem for economy at decent rates but that kinda defeats the purpose to me). Does the CSP still rank up at the top given the fact that these particular travel partners were some of the main chase partners? I could look at amex but I note that the american merger issue has been settled, so that will be going through shortly and who knows what will happen with that program. 

If (especially) domestic economy is the aim, it is harder to compare.  An alternative is a 2% cashback card (including pseudo-cashbacks such as Arrival) as they earn 2% points in all categories rather than just dining and travel.   But, depending on where/who you fly, things like Avios redemption onto American can still beat 2% cashback in many cases.

Message 4 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@wiivile, the Hyatt devaluation goes into effect in January 2014. As to whether one wants to fly first or economy class, it depends on the individual. That's like telling someone not to to buy a Mercedes because he can buy 2-10 Toyotas for the same amount of money.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
 As to whether one wants to fly first or economy class, it depends on the individual. That's like telling someone not to to buy a Mercedes because he can buy 2-10 Toyotas for the same amount of money.

Yep, or "Why do you want to go to Europe?  You can see lots of videos about it for free"   Basically, it's all about the experience, and for some, flying premium is an essential part.

Message 6 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@wiivile wrote:

As for United, I really don't know what the big deal is. I honestly can't understand why people are so intent on flying first class. Under the current chart, I would much, much, much rather get 2 free trips to Europe in Economy than I would 1 trip in first class. This boggles my mind why some people care about this so much...

With that said, I do think that there need to be some legal regulations on these devaluations of reward points. It's almost like a bait-and-switch.

I've flown to southeast asia from new york in coach (this is a much much longer trip than europe). I have no desire to do so ever again if I can avoid it. It was one of the most uncomfortable flights I ever had [granted it was China airlines]. It has to do with comfort. I'm 6'2 and need the leg room. My whole goal was to be able to fly premium overseas without having to pay a ridiculous amount for it. If people want to redeem for economy that is their choice and on domestic and short to medium international hops I agree, but when it comes to the long haul flights that take me clear to the other side of the globe I would love to be able to lay down and sleep.   

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@wiivile wrote:

I've flown to southeast asia from new york in coach (this is a much much longer trip than europe). I have no desire to do so ever again if I can avoid it. It was one of the most uncomfortable flights I ever had [granted it was China airlines]. It has to do with comfort. I'm 6'2 and need the leg room. My whole goal was to be able to fly premium overseas without having to pay a ridiculous amount for it. If people want to redeem for economy that is their choice and on domestic and short to medium international hops I agree, but when it comes to the long haul flights that take me clear to the other side of the globe I would love to be able to lay down and sleep.   

+1. Europe is a much much shorter flight than flying to SE Asia or Australia/NZ. Once you get to about 9-10 hours, each hour beyond that takes an increasingly progressive toll on your body.

Having flown from SFO-SIN and SFO-SYD in economy, it's something I'd never do again. 14.5 hours is way too long to be stuck in cattle class for my liking. For shorter flights E+ is sometimes good enough, but for longer ones there is no way I'd ever fly economy again.

Everyone's circumstances are different.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.