cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Um, WOW. Want Alliant Cash back card....

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Um, WOW. Want Alliant Cash back card....

Does anybody know how you can get it? Is this Info accurate? 

http://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/3-cash-back-card-from-alliant-credit-union/

I intend to change main banks from my local FCU to Alliant for the better intrest rates. Also want to get the secured loan to help that part of my CR. Please share your advice on how I can get this card, how I can play my cards right to get approved for it. And your experences with it if you got it!! TYVM Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Um, WOW. Want Alliant Cash back card....

Moved to 'Credit Cards' for additional exposure...

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregory1776 wrote:

http://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/3-cash-back-card-from-alliant-credit-union/

I intend to change main banks from my local FCU to Alliant for the better intrest rates. Also want to get the secured loan to help that part of my CR. Please share your advice on how I can get this card, how I can play my cards right to get approved for it. And your experences with it if you got it!! TYVM Smiley Very Happy

shared secure is great if you dont have a good mix of installment accounts/other things besides CC's.

That would get you in for that card. However, I think it would be wiser to to the shared secure if you found you actually would benefit from it, and hope for a preapproval for their card that usually has a $400 bonus then later PC to the 3% card.  I mean honestly 3%?????  I would hope you had a six figure income and did lots of non category spending for that to even make sense.....better to get something else IMO.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregory1776 wrote:

I have the card and I love it. I can't say much about how easy or hard it is to get. My understanding is that it is easier to get the CC if you have an established relationship with Alliant. That's the route I went.

I actually had been an Alliant checking/savings customer for several years when they solicited me for their basic cashback card (1% back), with a targeted signup bonus of $500, so I apped simply for the bonus. After about a year, the 3% card came out and I called about converting to it, and they did so without hassle or HP. Since then, it's been just as advertised; a straight-up 3% card. Couldn't be simpler.

I can tell you that Alliant is a great institution to be in with. 0.65% on checking, 1.11% on savings, no hoops, great online system, easy and immediate transfers between checking and savings. Also a great ACH system with the ability to add a seemingly unlimited number of external accounts. No fee for transfers, and the transfers are lightning quick, usually next day.

Highly recommended.

Chris.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gregory1776 wrote:

shared secure is great if you dont have a good mix of installment accounts/other things besides CC's.

That would get you in for that card. However, I think it would be wiser to to the shared secure if you found you actually would benefit from it, and hope for a preapproval for their card that usually has a $400 bonus then later PC to the 3% card.  I mean honestly 3%?????  I would hope you had a six figure income and did lots of non category spending for that to even make sense.....better to get something else IMO.

I'm not sure where you're coming from on that.  I mean, who couldn't benefit from a 3%-on-everything card?!  With 44 other cards, I have a lot of categories covered, and also divert spending onto new cards for bonuses, but I still have no problems peeling off at least $1k in uncategorized spend per month onto this card, meaning a pretty-much guaranteed $360 cashback per year.  Plus, having a 3% card raises the bar so that it makes sense to use the card in cases I might not otherwise because of fees.  For example, my county charges a 2.125% fee for charging my property tax on a CC.  But with a 3% card, it's still a net 0.875% gain.  I'll net about $80 paying my property taxes this year.  

Now again, I can't comment on OP's specific situation in terms of how difficult it would be to get the card.

Chris.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gregory1776 wrote:

I'm not sure where you're coming from on that.  I mean, who couldn't benefit from a 3%-on-everything card?!  With 44 other cards, I have a lot of categories covered, and also divert spending onto new cards for bonuses, but I still have no problems peeling off at least $1k in uncategorized spend per month onto this card, meaning a pretty-much guaranteed $360 cashback per year.  Plus, having a 3% card raises the bar so that it makes sense to use the card in cases I might not otherwise because of fees.  For example, my county charges a 2.125% fee for charging my property tax on a CC.  But with a 3% card, it's still a net 0.875% gain.  I'll net about $80 paying my property taxes this year.  

Now again, I can't comment on OP's specific situation in terms of how difficult it would be to get the card.

Chris.

Sure.  Thats good.  But its not 3% after the first year. Its 2.5  And its got an annual fee of $59 (although waived the first yr).  Thats all.

Message 6 of 7
happypill
Valued Contributor

There was some buzz about this card around myFICO when it was launched a few months back.  3% is for the first year only.  $59 AF after the first year with 2.5% rewards.  Still pretty good if you have a lot of non-category spend, but each person will have to their own calculation to see if that beats a no AF 2% card which are widely available (including Alliant's own card).

The past few years Alliant has offered $400-500 sign-on bonuses for their cards around the holidays so it will be interesting to see if they do anything with either of their cards this year.  Agree that Alliant is a really good credit union.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.