Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Um, what? (Discover It application)

tag
elegia
New Contributor

Um, what? (Discover It application)

I applied online for the Discover It card today using a link for a $150 signup bonus (https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?gclid=CIvmxK2W-rwCFeZDMgodq1kA-w&pageFi... and after filling out my information got a message saying they were reviewing my application and that I could call for a faster decision. I did, and the rep said that my application had already expired because the offer was no longer valid, even though it is still on their website. She said that because of that, they could not approve my application and that I'd have to re-apply and go through another hard inquiry, even though they already pulled my credit for this application.

Is there anything I can do about this? I have to take a hard inquiry even though they can't even process my application? I'm really upset because I've been working hard to build my credit (750-850 FAKO scores) and chose this card and time of application very carefully.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Um, what? (Discover It application)

Try the recon department in back door numbers.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 17
elegia
New Contributor

Ugh, I tried the recon number but got the same response: Sorry, offer expired, nothing you or we can do about it. Application did go through but was automatically denied because of the expiration, apparently. It's been forwarded to a manager, but they say there's basically nothing to be done at this point.

I'm really frustrated - there was absolutely no indication that the offer had expired, either on the page to apply or on the card/account details that I agreed to when applying. And if it had expired, they should have taken it down from discovercard.com or at the very least not have allowed me to apply in the first place.

Message 3 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Wow that is not normal for Discover!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 17
DieGo2SHAE
Regular Contributor

As an added effort, i'd tweet at their twitter account as well. Twitter seems to work really well for normal customer service, it should do that much more with discover. Then get on chat support and email them as well. Hit them from all fronts if necessary. Taking a HP for literally nothing and them telling you to just deal with it is absurd.

May 2013 | June 2013 |Sep 2013 | Dec 2013 |May 2014 | May 2014 | May 2014| April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015 | April 2015
Message 5 of 17
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Wait, there's a sign up bonus for this card?  I specifically searched for one when I was applying :/.  Oh well.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 6 of 17
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Oh never mind didn't even read your post lol

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

Message 7 of 17
gh17
Frequent Contributor

I'd just keep chatting/messaging/calling until you get someone to listen though.  They should have your credit report somewhere if they pulled it.  No need to pull again.

Message 8 of 17
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@elegia wrote:

I applied online for the Discover It card today using a link for a $150 signup bonus (https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?gclid=CIvmxK2W-rwCFeZDMgodq1kA-w&pageFi... and after filling out my information got a message saying they were reviewing my application and that I could call for a faster decision. I did, and the rep said that my application had already expired because the offer was no longer valid, even though it is still on their website. She said that because of that, they could not approve my application and that I'd have to re-apply and go through another hard inquiry, even though they already pulled my credit for this application.

Is there anything I can do about this? I have to take a hard inquiry even though they can't even process my application? I'm really upset because I've been working hard to build my credit (750-850 FAKO scores) and chose this card and time of application very carefully.

Specifically in the URL you provided, it says "2012-Credit+Card+Rewards"... So that offer was probably for back in 2012. Unfortunately whatever site you got it from didn't update when the offer expired, and neither did Discover. :/

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 9 of 17
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

I had a similar issue dealing with discover when they refused to honor the offer. I showed them where it was still available on the website and had no expiration date. This was however from 2013, not 2012. They also refused to honor it. Trust me when I tell you that Discover has been the worst Credit Card company to deal with. I was under the impression that they were awesome. After going through customer care reps, supervisors, managers, facebook which is just a step higher than customer care reps and just as useless, I finally got he office of the CEO. First 2 people were useless and finally when I told them I have a screenshot and they dont have expiration date on there or disclaimer that there are different tiers of cards (Their excuse was that I did not qualify for the best rate/tier so $150 offer did not apply even though they sent me a card, and supposedly sent me something else stating that I would not get a bonus). Well - I sent them a screenshot and told them that I will be contacting my AG and filing a lawsuit for false advertising because nowhere on the website it states that different tiers do not qualify for the offer. It simply stated New customers who are approved which I was. by law they have to at least disclose perhaps something like "well-qualified customers only" before I decide to apply or not.

Anyway - just rambling because I hate discover, but had their director call me back after I threatened second lady at CEO office with AG and tell me they will manually apply $150 credit to the statement as a one time courtesy. Their number is 302-328-3300. It is not a secret number. it is well available and advertised. if you go to BBB website and type in Discover Financial Services out of Deleware you will get this number. In-fact if you are trying to put in a complaint it even asks if you havent contacted them yet, to try this number first and then if its not resolved file a complaint

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.