Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized authorized user!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unauthorized authorized user!

Ok here is the deal... My aunt was recently hospitalized (long story). My mother and I were gathering some things to take to the hospital for her. I noticed a statement laying on her counter for the Discover More card and to my knowledge she has no credit cards. Next we find 3 Discover More cards with my Aunt's name, my Grandmother's name, and my Grandfather's name. My Grandmother does not use credit cards and my Grandfather has beeen in a nursing home for the last 5 years. The card is almost maxed out with almost $7,500 of cash advances. I really wish I could get more history/info on what exactly is going on. Any opinions on what I should do?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unauthorized authorized user!

ask the grandparents or your aunt. there's literally nothing else you really can legally do unless you obtain a general POA on your aunt
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I am going to have to talk to my grandmother. This will crush her and she is not in good health. My aunt appears to be making the minimum payments which is mostly interest and will take 51 years to pay off! This just seems so wrong!

Message 3 of 28
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I am going to have to talk to my grandmother. This will crush her and she is not in good health. My aunt appears to be making the minimum payments which is mostly interest and will take 51 years to pay off! This just seems so wrong!

But whose name is the actual account under, or the name on the statement?

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah. who is the source
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

The statement is in my grandparent's name but comes to my aunt's address. Why would the statement be coming to her house and her having both of my grandparent's physical cards in her possession if not fraudulent!

Message 6 of 28
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The statement is in my grandparent's name but comes to my aunt's address. I also notice what appears to be a "D" symbol on both of my grandparent's cards but not on my aunt's card - not sure what that signifies. Why would the statement be coming to her house and her having both of my grandparent's physical cards in her possession if not fraudulent!

Honestly, sounds like she may have something to do with it. If your grandparents are sick / in a nursing home ( God Bless them) i am sure she has an access to their ssn, or know their birthday and such. And being elderly people, i don't see them sitting on the ipad, at myfico, checking their credit. And you mentioned your aunt making the minimum payments on the account, so it means that she is aware of the accounts. 

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe she has somehow added herself as an authorized user and changed the address so my grandmother would not see the statements anymore. My grandmother is on a fixed income and she does not need this stress at this point in her life. I have to think about what I am going to do. This makes me so mad!

Message 8 of 28
_NERD
Established Contributor

FICO abuse.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 9 of 28
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe she has somehow added herself as an authorized user and changed the address so my grandmother would not see the statements anymore. My grandmother is on a fixed income and she does not need this stress at this point in her life. I have to think about what I am going to do. This makes me so mad!

Do you think the cards actually belonged to your GP's and she added herself as an au, or do you think she applied in their name and got the cards and then added herself as an AU? Does it show the limit on the statement, and how old the account is? I am thinking from the perspective of a lender, if i have a customer who has an AU on their account, and every single purchase is made by the AU card, this should raise some red flags with Discover, unless she is smart enough to rotate the cards and use all 3 of them randomly.

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.