Did you mean: 

Unbelievable - Macy`s Card is actually worse than Capital One

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Unbelievable - Macy`s Card is actually worse than Capital One

@lajntx wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

. With sprint, I just call the cancellation line and they give you whatever you want. 

Apparently when you select the option to cancel -- so does Macys!  Smiley Very Happy

Oh well, no big loss for me really. The nearest store is 45 miles in a direction I seldom travel. At least I learned they apparently dont black list like they used too, but if you have problems..... Dont expect it to get fixed.

Apprently, I`m not the only one to experience this.... The reply to this was quite interesting.

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/macys/coudnt-use-my-new-macys-store-credit-card-aft...

"Second, Its unfortunate that your friends referred you blindly into opening an account at Macy's. It used to be known as an excellent card to open a few years ago. But with all the changes to the card it just isnt so anymore. interest rate is at 24% and you are charged late fee's left and right. The card is through Citi bank. So there is another problem. Unlike Nordstroms who runs their card themselves, Macy's allows others to do their dirty work

Third, Anytime you want anything to be resolved with you card you must go in store if you want to get anywhere. When calling from the number on the back of your card you will get the complete run around and its a 50/50 chance anything will be resolved. However, the associates in the store have a direct number to credit where its almost always an american who is there to quickly get you in and out. Once you have the associate call you need to immediately ask... for a supervisor to resolve any issue at hand."

I am sure many others had bad experiences just based off what happened to you. I don't really like to read those review websites only because 3/4 of the time its people complaining about getting their car repo'd after not paying for a year. Granted, that is a terrible situation and nobody wants it to happen, its what happens when you don't pay. I was just readng some reviews for an auto loan and that made up most of the reviews. 

Message 11 of 21
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

wow! what an experience!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 12 of 21
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

Macy's was an excellent card until a few years ago when they decided to use a "charge card" idea. I found out my 3K limit had gone *poof* when I went to buy 75 bucks worth of makeup (I had around 1400 on the card--I was a frequent flyer.) I had to call in each time I wanted to use the card. I sockdrawered it instead. I should not have to ask permission to buy a tube of mascara or a set of bath towels.

Clearly the money daddy thing did not work and too many people sockdrawered them. They reinstated credit lines.

Two years later, I got my CL line back, but only 1300 bucks. I owed around 1000. I paid it off so we shall see what happens. I think that in the three years since they did the money daddy scheme, I used it for a grand total of 34 dollars in charges. 1300 is not a great limit, and the quality of the merchandise has gone downhill; they were my go-to for work pants but then they went to stuff that looks like yoga pants.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 13 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

I am sure many others had bad experiences just based off what happened to you. I don't really like to read those review websites only because 3/4 of the time its people complaining about getting their car repo'd after not paying for a year. Granted, that is a terrible situation and nobody wants it to happen, its what happens when you don't pay. I was just readng some reviews for an auto loan and that made up most of the reviews. 

Most reviews for banks are about things that are the customer's fault. They say they were only a few days late and the company won't refund the fee. They say they only overdrafted three times last month and it was only for $100 and the bank closed their account. It seems people think insolence is tolerated by lenders and bank, but it is not. With Macy's it's always someone sending the payment to the wrong account and complaining about Macy's having two seperate accounts for the card.

Message 14 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditScholar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@randeman wrote:

Wow!  Sorry about your luck there.  That was terrible.  I haven't had any issues with Macy's (other than their belts suck).  Once again, YMMV, I guess.

+1

That really sounds pretty messed up.  I've been a Macy's cardholder for over 15+ years (including the Bloomingdale's relationship) - and a Citi customer for over 20+ and I've never had any major issues at all.  I would agree with randeman, it's probably a YEMV kind of thing.

Maybe they have different levels of service based on how valuable they think you are as a customer? It wouldn't be uncommon for people to be sorted into tiers based on profitability, with the lowest tiers getting the worst service.

+1

I would concur CreditScholar.  I have the Macy's Preferred AMEX (formerly the Preferred Visa) and I've never encountered any issues since I've had the card.  Same on the Bloomingdale's side, I have their Reserve AMEX line and not an issue.  As you pointed out, and from a revenue/profitability perspective with brands/products/services, the higher the loyalty/tier status, the less issues one tends to experience.

Message 15 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

Most reviews for banks are about things that are the customer's fault. They say they were only a few days late and the company won't refund the fee. They say they only overdrafted three times last month and it was only for $100 and the bank closed their account. It seems people think insolence is tolerated by lenders and bank, but it is not. With Macy's it's always someone sending the payment to the wrong account and complaining about Macy's having two seperate accounts for the card.

+1

Sure, there are times when companies make mistakes - absolutely.  However, more often than not, it's usually the above described scenarios.

Message 16 of 21
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@randeman wrote:

Wow!  Sorry about your luck there.  That was terrible.  I haven't had any issues with Macy's (other than their belts suck).  Once again, YMMV, I guess.

+1

That really sounds pretty messed up.  I've been a Macy's cardholder for over 15+ years (including the Bloomingdale's relationship) - and a Citi customer for over 20+ and I've never had any major issues at all.  I would agree with randeman, it's probably a YEMV kind of thing.

Maybe they have different levels of service based on how valuable they think you are as a customer? It wouldn't be uncommon for people to be sorted into tiers based on profitability, with the lowest tiers getting the worst service.

+1

I would concur CreditScholar.  I have the Macy's Preferred AMEX (formerly the Preferred Visa) and I've never encountered any issues since I've had the card.  Same on the Bloomingdale's side, I have their Reserve AMEX line and not an issue.  As you pointed out, and from a revenue/profitability perspective with brands/products/services, the higher the loyalty/tier status, the less issues one tends to experience.

That may be true when comparing a 25 year customer that spends thousands with you on a yearly basis to someone that rarely uses the account or is new.

However.........................

No level of customer should be given an account, told they have X amount limit, and when the go to use the card it comes back declined -- even for a $10 purchase and the only thing a CSR can tell said customer in broken english is basically. " Your account looks good on this end....please go away ".

About that....... what was it? Oh yes " revenue/profitability perspective "..... You make exactaly 0 - ZERO when you treat any level of customer that way and deny that there is even a problem.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 17 of 21
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@silverzgirl wrote:

Macy's was an excellent card until a few years ago when they decided to use a "charge card" idea. I found out my 3K limit had gone *poof* when I went to buy 75 bucks worth of makeup (I had around 1400 on the card--I was a frequent flyer.) I had to call in each time I wanted to use the card. I sockdrawered it instead. I should not have to ask permission to buy a tube of mascara or a set of bath towels.

Clearly the money daddy thing did not work and too many people sockdrawered them. They reinstated credit lines.

Two years later, I got my CL line back, but only 1300 bucks. I owed around 1000. I paid it off so we shall see what happens. I think that in the three years since they did the money daddy scheme, I used it for a grand total of 34 dollars in charges. 1300 is not a great limit, and the quality of the merchandise has gone downhill; they were my go-to for work pants but then they went to stuff that looks like yoga pants.

Agreed. I only applied because I was going on an all out blitz before I banished myself to the garden for 2 years and I wanted to see if they blacklisted like a lot of people claim they do. I expected to get declined.... Even expected to be told the first time that my account was under review and later be told it was cancelled. I didnt expect to be told the account was fine with a $300 limit.... and that there was nothing wrong or any reason why it would decline a small $10 purchase.

I really dont need Macy`s so it was a no brainer to cancel the thing..... Which after further checking appears to be the only thing they could do right.

I thought capital one`s CSR`s were clueless, unempowered, and of little use.... until I called Macys. Smiley Frustrated

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 18 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

Sounds like the account just needed to be unlocked with a simple validation of some personal info perhaps, much ado about nothing really. Macy's has a gajillion accounts, ish happens. Nothing special, like Nodstrom can be for e.g. but wouldn't venture to compare their cs to cap1.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 19 of 21
randeman
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@randeman wrote:

+1

You may be onto something there.  I am an "elite" card holder with Macy's, since I spend $2500 a year with them.  As far as I know, though, the only customer service perk that they advertise with this level is that I move to the head of the queue when I call credit and customer service.  I don't ever recall speaking to someone with the kind of accent that would lead me to believe that the calls are routed overseas.  I did speak to one guy in the past who didn't know what I was talking about and gave me misinformation, but that was clarified a few hours later when I called back.  Otherwise, no problems.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.