Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncle Money Is On A Recon Roll!!

tag
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Uncle Money Is On A Recon Roll!!

Last week, as many of you may know, I successfully recon'd with PenFed. Initially, they declined me for a 15K loc. To make a very long story short, I faxed in a recon letter, along with income docs and they approved me for 5K. I will take it.

A few nights ago, I had the strong urge to app for my third Amex card. This time I wanted the Blue Cash Rewards. So, I app online and instantly denied. The reasons stated, get this, past due activity with American Express (what!) and too many inquiries. While the inquiry part is true (I have a few too many at this time) I was never, ever late with Amex.

After several phone calls, I explained to them over and over again that this was false information. I have never been late. As far as the inqs, I told them to just take a look at my strong payment history and super low utilization. They agreed to recon. Called today, spoke w/ a rep in new accounts and approved for 4K. I will take it again!

UM is on a recon roll!

My advice for the day: All I can tell you is that recon works. You have nothing to lose. The worst a bank can say is no. Be persistent and do not give up. Persistence is the #1 reason I was successful with PenFed and Amex.

Smiley Happy

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Uncle Money Is On A Recon Roll!!

Super Congrats!

Message 2 of 8
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@Uncle_Money wrote:

Last week, as many of you may know, I successfully recon'd with PenFed. Initially, they declined me for a 15K loc. To make a very long story short, I faxed in a recon letter, along with income docs and they approved me for 5K. I will take it.

A few nights ago, I had the strong urge to app for my third Amex card. This time I wanted the Blue Cash Rewards. So, I app online and instantly denied. The reasons stated, get this, past due activity with American Express (what!) and too many inquiries. While the inquiry part is true (I have a few too many at this time) I was never, ever late with Amex.

After several phone calls, I explained to them over and over again that this was false information. I have never been late. As far as the inqs, I told them to just take a look at my strong payment history and super low utilization. They agreed to recon. Called today, spoke w/ a rep in new accounts and approved for 4K. I will take it again!

UM is on a recon roll!

My advice for the day: All I can tell you is that recon works. You have nothing to lose. The worst a bank can say is no. Be persistent and do not give up. Persistence is the #1 reason I was successful with PenFed and Amex.

Smiley Happy

First of all.... CONGRATS!!!  And I totally agree with you about being persistent for something that you REALLY want.  Last year after I had wasted a whole year trying to buy a house (I'm glad that didn't work out!) I ended up getting an apartment closer to work and I'm very happy with the decision.  After I moved I decided that I would try for a US Bank FlexPerks card again (was denied a year or so before) and I was declined again.  I recon'd with them and made calls to their credit analysts several times and finally got them to approve me.... for $8k.  It was the best approval I ever got for a CC as I wanted a relationship with them and I knew that I was worthy of it.  It's like getting the job you really want, you have to state your case and prove to them that your desire to do business with them is genuine and it'll make it hard for them to say "no".

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 8
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Kinda like dating...Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

well... um... yeah I guess it is.  then once you get the green light you find out what your limit is Smiley Wink

(why do I get the sneaky feeling this thread is gonna get censored?)

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 5 of 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Congrats ..

Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@jefftca925 wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

well... um... yeah I guess it is.  then once you get the green light you find out what your limit is Smiley Wink

(why do I get the sneaky feeling this thread is gonna get censored?)

lol Smiley Very Happy

--and that's why people shouldn't apply for stuff with crud all over their reports that they haven't tidied up first, any more than you'd go on a first date with greasy hair and stinky clothes. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Thanks, everyone.

I had these sudden urges to app this month.Now I need to refrain for a while.

UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.