cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undecided on what I should use AMEX MR points for...

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Undecided on what I should use AMEX MR points for...

I Have 51k points, no plans to travels this year...what should I do? Use them to get bunch of AMEX gift cards?

It kinda sucks such a prestigious card like MR doesn't offer 1:1 ration for Amazon/Best Buy.

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Undecided on what I should use AMEX MR points for...

@IcEWoLF wrote:

I Have 51k points, no plans to travels this year...what should I do? Use them to get bunch of AMEX gift cards?

It kinda sucks such a prestigious card like MR doesn't offer 1:1 ration for Amazon/Best Buy.

you are losing an lot of value if you aren't going to be using them for travel , are you getting rid of your mr card why do you need to spend it right now ? 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Nothing prestigious about the card.   Looking to make a profit.  Citi also has a bad ratio, Chase (and Discover?) are 1:1

Message 3 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

use the points and make plans to travel. that's the whole point. you don't need plans, plan a free trip and then you have plans.

/thread
Message 4 of 20
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

If you are not going to use MR points for travel in the future either a MR earning card is not the ideal card for you. I would then recommend to look into straight cash back cards instead  which can give you at least 2%.

Message 5 of 20
elim
Senior Contributor

two can fly up to 3000 miles for 50k points.

may as well sit on them and hope they don't get nerfed. 

Message 6 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

You're literally throwing away money on an MR card I'd you don't plan on using points for the maximum value.
Message 7 of 20
elim
Senior Contributor

you can go roundtrip to Ireland AND Hawaii on those points from the states,   lol

makes those 50k points worth nearly $2000

Message 8 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

Ideally, MR points should ONLY be redeemed via direct transfer into an FF rewards program; and, even then, unless you have imminent plans for a ticket purchase, wait for one of the periodic bonus transfer offers.

Now, if you prefer cash or decide you will never fly on any MR airline partner, you can redeem retail GCs at 1:1.  To cash out, just redeem one which sells for the higher value at Cardpool, by going through topcashback for 4% bonus, which should offer you about .9 cpp on your MR points.  If you prefer amazon, Cardpool offers an additional 5% value for amazon redemptions for retail GCs.

Good luck!

*Edited*  PS - Last time I checked, Tiffany GCs offer the highest retail selling value via Cardpool.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

Ideally, MR points should ONLY be redeemed via direct transfer into an FF rewards program; and, even then, unless you have imminent plans for a ticket purchase, wait for one of the periodic bonus transfer offers.

Now, if you prefer cash or decide you will never fly on any MR airline partner, you can redeem retail GCs at 1:1.  To cash out, just redeem one which sells for the higher value at Cardpool, by going through topcashback for 4% bonus, which should offer you about .9 cpp on your MR points.  If you prefer amazon, Cardpool offers an additional 5% value for amazon redemptions for retail GCs.

Good luck!

*Edited*  PS - Last time I checked, Tiffany GCs offer the highest retail selling value via Cardpool.

As I only recently got into this whole cc rewards programs I'm only familiar with the recent bonus program for BA.  In your experience is this something that they'll repeat with BA and what other airlines have they had bonus programs for?

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.