Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underestimated Hilton HHonors?

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Underestimated Hilton HHonors?

All of the hotel programs have their benefits. Hilton is definitely an "Earn and burn" program. Don't waste too much time saving points, spend em when you get em.

Also, $145 for a HGI in manhattan, i'd take that any day of the week. Smiley Tongue
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I settled on Hilton years ago when I started travelling for the job, so the HHonors was a milestone card for me during my rebuilding. If nothing else to keep and maintain my status and get automatic upgrades when the travel is light.

Message 12 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind "high end" can include more basic properties in high-cost areas.

My last Hilton stay (a Garden Inn in Manhattan) cost me $145 with taxes, but would have cost 60k HHonors points. That's 0.24 cpp.

There are definitely basic properties in inexpensive, rural areas that offer a better value.

Dude thats CHEAP in Manhattan ... I should know I live in NYC Smiley Happy

Marriott in Downtown Brooklyn is $300 a night and most others in NYC are around the $200 mark

Yea I was kinda thinking that is a pretty good dead for Manhattan. Heh. Although I have seen decent sub-$200 rates in the city during non-peak travel seasons. Since I live here though I never have to worry about redeeming points on NYC stays. 

Yeah if you go hunting for a hotel outside of Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn you might be able to find a hotel for under $200 but most likely your going to spend around $200 a night for a room at a good hotel tier like a Marriott or Hilton or any of it's related brands. For a place like Day's inn you might be able to get it around $150 or some place like Best Western which there is a ton of them across 4th Ave in Brooklyn from Bay Ridge to the Barclay's center. Don't get me wrong I love places like Holiday inn, Best Western but I just find the hotels in the Hilton/Marriott brand as a really good experience for the traveler who wants a great experience but bit on a budget. I am excluding the boutique hotels like Hotel on Rivington or any other ones from this assessment.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 13 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
All of the hotel programs have their benefits. Hilton is definitely an "Earn and burn" program. Don't waste too much time saving points, spend em when you get em.

Also, $145 for a HGI in manhattan, i'd take that any day of the week. Smiley Tongue

+1 Specially in Manhattan which is a steal. for a Staycation that would be great.

Might go do one in the summer since I am going to LA in a few weeks and thats costing me a pretty dime already. But I guess it is a good thing because I get to use my new Citi AA plat and Amex Hilton cards to make the spend. I have missed only one signup bonus and that was the Amex Everyday but I don't really value MR as much and I was busy making the spend for the CSP and Marriott card which if I remember was a total spend of $5,000 at the time I signed up for them.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It amazes me that the IHG MC isn't more popular, with no category restrictions for the free night and a $49 AF.

Message 15 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I settled on Hilton years ago when I started travelling for the job, so the HHonors was a milestone card for me during my rebuilding. If nothing else to keep and maintain my status and get automatic upgrades when the travel is light.

Yeah for a card with 0 AF with Amex's or Citi's offering This is a good enough perk to get the card imo. I had the Marriott card but I realized even with the free night I ended up always going to a hilton branded hotel anyways because the prices was so much better and I like both of their branded hotels

Message 16 of 20
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It amazes me that the IHG MC isn't more popular, with no category restrictions for the free night and a $49 AF.

Yeah it's a good card but Hilton Amex and Citi are I believe one of the only cards that offers Hotel points and upgraded status with no AF? Barclay's might offer one but I dont like them and they don't like me. Plus I already have 5 cards with Chase.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

don't be fooled about the "free night". that's what the $49 AF helps cover. it's more of a "discounted night"
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
don't be fooled about the "free night". that's what the $49 AF helps cover. it's more of a "discounted night"

True. My point was more comparing the card to Hyatt and Marriott’s annual “free” nights. Hyatt and Marriott cards have higher annual fees, but the “free” (discounted) nights can’t be used anywhere in Manhattan, while IHG’s can be used not just in Manhattan but at an IC, CP, Indigo, etc. HI/HIX is always good, too.

Message 19 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True. My point was more comparing the card to Hyatt and Marriott’s annual “free” nights. Hyatt and Marriott cards have higher annual fees, but the “free” (discounted) nights can’t be used anywhere in Manhattan, while IHG’s can be used not just in Manhattan but at an IC, CP, Indigo, etc. HI/HIX is always good, too.

I don't have much experience with IHG but I have a decent amount of experience with Hyatt, marriott and hilton when it comes to free nights. I be interested in which free night certificates would have the most value. I know marriott with their cat cap aren't really that useful in major cities, but I have managed to get value at lower end properties that are seasonal where they are extremely over priced. Hyatt doesn't seem that great either, but I was thinking about using it for an overnight in Boston which is a decent value. The hilton if you earn the free weekend night can be very valuable of course you are spending 10k & payying an AF to get it. What I find very interesting is that Chase has different language in the terms betwene the IHG and Hyatt credit cards. The IHG card specifically has language that says Chase can close the card for inactivity. The Hyatt card has no such language in the same section. Also, the IHG card has language that says during high demand periods you can be denied the redemption at the properties the hyatt card doesn't say that directly. Has anyone had difficulty in redeeming their IHG nights? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.