Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding AMEX

I pre-qualified online for AMEX BCE.  I have a old unpaid AMEX CO (no longer on my CR).  I thought that AMEX had a long memory and I wouldn't even pre-qualify.  Does this mean I'm not black listed and have a chance ?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Understanding AMEX

Welcome to the forum 

Chances are unless the CO was paid you stand a 99.5% chance of being denied ....sorry 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can give it a try. I believe if you're blacklisted they won't even pull your credit report (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so at least you'd know one way or the other. But I have heard that they have an extremely long memory, although there are reports of some slipping through the cracks.

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can give it a try. I believe if you're blacklisted they won't even pull your credit report (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so at least you'd know one way or the other. But I have heard that they have an extremely long memory, although there are reports of some slipping through the cracks.

Correct ^^^^^^^^^^^

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you all for your replies.  I was just wondering what's with AMEX.  Been lurking here for almost 2 years and have learned a lot from this forum.  I have rebuilt my credit and have now 6 CC (FBNO, CU Visa, Citi Simplicity, BOA Better Reward, Discover & Sallie Mae) and my scores are TU08 769, EX08 808, EQ08 796.  Could not have done it without all of you.

Message 5 of 7
noobody
Established Contributor

Just do it, I had an unpaid 5 digs AMEX CO, wait 15 years, finally pull the trigger, approved 18K, auto backdated to 95.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks you all for your replies.  I was just wondering what's with AMEX.  Been lurking here for almost 2 years and have learned a lot from this forum.  I have rebuilt my credit and have now 6 CC (FBNO, CU Visa, Citi Simplicity, BOA Better Reward, Discover & Sallie Mae) and my scores are TU08 769, EX08 808, EQ08 796.  Could not have done it without all of you.

Congrats on doing such a great job rebuilding! I envy your scores!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.