Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding PIF to avoid interests

tag
Plasticard
New Contributor

Re: Understanding PIF to avoid interests

Just for example:

Went through my first 4 months of discover statements. 

1) $50.45 charged 

2) $805.25 charged 0 subject to interest, $35 payment

3) $27.75 charged 805.86 subject to interest, $35 payment 

4) $105 charged $816 subject to interest, $50 payment

If there was no grace period, statement 3 would have been $833.61 but instead only shows the $805. Also statement 4 would have been $903.61. 

Message 21 of 25
Chris679
Established Contributor

Average daily balance, I think you are missing that part.
Message 22 of 25
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

Message 23 of 25
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

Point is, I know to PIF BEFORE due date now (i was ignorant, thought it was before statement date, ouch!)

But as I understand it, if you don't PIF before due date, then you get interest. That's simple. But I have questions in a couple of scenarios here:

Scenario 1. Balance $5000. Pay $50 on due date, then pay $4950 before the statement cuts so the next statement will report $0.00

Scenario 2. Balance $5000. Pay $4999 on due date, then pay $1 before the statement cuts so the next statement will report $0.00

Would both scenarios pay the exact same amount of interest? or will Scenario 2 pay much less interest?

Message 24 of 25
Plasticard
New Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

Point is, I know to PIF BEFORE due date now (i was ignorant, thought it was before statement date, ouch!)

But as I understand it, if you don't PIF before due date, then you get interest. That's simple. But I have questions in a couple of scenarios here:

Scenario 1. Balance $5000. Pay $50 on due date, then pay $4950 before the statement cuts so the next statement will report $0.00

Scenario 2. Balance $5000. Pay $4999 on due date, then pay $1 before the statement cuts so the next statement will report $0.00

Would both scenarios pay the exact same amount of interest? or will Scenario 2 pay much less interest?

Scenario 2 would pay less, since you're paying 2 days of interest on $1 (assuming due date 25th, statement date 28th) whereas scenario 1 you're paying 2 days of interest on $4950

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.