Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding payment time question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding payment time question

Hi all.  I feel kinda goofy asking these questions because 1) I'm 46 and should already know and have been practicing this and 2) I've worked in the credit card and finance industry since I was 19!!  But alas, looking at my credit reports you'd never know it.  However, I've busted my hiney the last 2 months and am almost over 50 pts up on all 3 scores...

Now that I'm back to getting credit again and trying to do it right, just a question about payments.  I'm carrying very small balances (really only on one) but have been using and paying the others.  If my payment is due on the 4th, I know I pay before then, but what do people when when they talk about statement cuts etc.  Is it bad to use and pay it right away?  Is there any benefit to that or do the companies consider that the same as not using at all?

I just want to build some but want to understand the correct way in doing so.  Thank you so much for your help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Understanding payment time question

When to pay depends on what your goal is: to use the bank's money for as long as possible, or to maximize your score. It sounds like you're interested in the later. That being said, if you're not planning on apping for something (something substantial) in the near future, many will advise you against driving yourself crazy with optimum CS maximizing payment schedules. But here goes...

You're fine charging something and paying it off ASAP, end of day, end of week, etc. The key is to have $0 reporting on all cards but one at statement cut. Most cards* out there have their statement cut about 3-4 days after the payment due date. The amount that shows on the statement is what gets reported to the credit agencies. 

If you really want zero to report, you will also likely have to stop using that card from about the payment due date until after the statement generates to make sure that something in pending doesn't report. Some cards will let you pay before something fully posts, some won't. You can always push payments from your bank rather than pay at the CC site, but IME that's not as predictable as to when it posts, so if I care about a payment showing up ASAP, I pull the payment from the CC site. 

*I said most cards because US Bank (and I think many CUs) are the exception. They cut their statement whenver, but they report whatever the balance is at the end of the month. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.