Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Emergency App Spree

tag
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Unexpected Emergency App Spree

I had to step out of the garden for an unexpected emergency and here are my results:

CU CC - Denied, 15 year member but burned them in BK 7 9 1/2 years ago. I paid the balance included in BK right after I filed and my card was closed. I have never been able to get a loan from them again as today I found out I am blacklisted. I plan to eventually close my account and go to a CU that I like that is closer to the house.

Barclays Rewards Card - don't know. They gave me the 30 day message. I tried the back door number but they are closed until Monday.

Then after that I said, "what the hell, might as well try one of my goal cards that I wasn't supposed to app for until September. The third card I applied for was the Discover IT...APPROVED!!! $1000 CL! And the Rep said that once I get good payment history with them, I will be eligible for increases.

So since I didn't get $2500 and the cost of the emergency is $1500, I plan to use the Cap1 Cash Rewards card ($2500 CL) for the emergency and use the Discover for every day expenses. I want $1000 extra so the card wouldn't be maxed out.

My monthly everyday spend is $1600 split across Chase ($1000 CL) and Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500 CL), now I plan to split it across Chase and Discover and use the Cap1 Cash rewards card for the emergency...that way, no cards will be near the limit. Thank you Lord! Third time is a Charm! It is so nice that Discover sends their cards express mail standard so I will get it by early next week! And it will be my new everyday card along with Chase to PIF every month to show I'm a good paying customer. I do not want to put the nonrecurring charge on a brand new card and start out not PIFing and ruin my chance of an increase. So the emergency will go on the older Cap1 card that I KNOW won't give me an increase anytime soon and it will be paid off by next March!

So folks I am back in the garden until July 2014 instead of September 2013. I already had 5 INQs before today and now I have 8 so I'm D-O-N-E! I'm so glad I didn't have to do a hardship withdrawal on my 401K.

If you are asking what made me app for the Discover card. I searched for older posts that talked about chances with Discover based on certain credit profiles and I found a guy that got approved with 1 baddie, a 6.5 year old BK, and his score was 630's with 41% Util. Thank you whoever you are for posting that! You gave me hope and I got approved!

My credit profile in case others are curious what their approval chances might be for the Discover It:

9.5 year old BK 7
1 collection for $1000 from 2009
1 auto loan paid obtained 2008 - 4 year history paying that
1 new auto lease through Acura - Nov 2012
1 new mortgage just started reporting last month
4 student loan accounts, never late, 13 years old

Current Utilization: 39%

And my credit card profile:

Orchard Bank, opened 2009, $1100 CL/Balance: $209

Cap1 Cash Rewards - opened July 2012, $2500 CL/Balance: $644, just PIFed today!

Chase Freedom - opened Jan 2013, $1000 CL/Balance: $76

Best Buy Store card - opened Feb 2013, $2500 CL/Balance: $1862

Discover It - opened TODAY!, $1000 CL/Balance: $0

Total CL: $8100

Folks! You shouldn't do what I just did. I apped until I got an approval which can be very damaging but I have the mortgage etc. now so I didn't mind the temporary drop in scores. And it was a miracle Discover approved me with all these new accounts and inquiries. Discover was my last card to try though because there was no way AMEX would approve me. So if Discover denied me i probably would have given up.

Hopefully this information helps someone else that wonders about their chances. And the Rep kept talking about how well I rebuilt my credit and that over time with good payment history, I will see increaseS not an increase. He did not even bring up the collection! With my CU, every sentence out her mouth seemed to have the word collection in it. The Discover Rep did bring up my BK but he said it is so old and about to fall off that he didn't even factor it into his decision.

The Discover It was an instant approval over the phone and I did not have to recon.

I could call Barclays on Monday to hear the verdict. But nah, I will just let them mull over it for 30 days, wait for the mail, and if I get the card, great! If not, I can still take care of my emergency.

I love you guys! I couldn't have gotten here without this forum and all of you so thank you!

Now I have to replace my bronze spade with the baby plant because I'm starting back to zero. Into the garden I go until next year! Smiley Very Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Unexpected Emergency App Spree

grats on the approval!

which barclays reward card did you app for? The excellent or the good credit? They have different offers if you search for the card on google too, so it's really confusing @@

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 21
scarzy
Regular Contributor

Since you have an inquiry with Barclays, it doesn't hurt to recon Monday. After all, it could be your emergency card! Congrats!

starting EQ FICO : 526 current EQ FICO : 640 starting TU FICO: 538 current TU FICO : 656

My wallet: Capital One cash rewards $1,300- ~ NFCU signature cash rewards $5,000- ~ NFCU nRewards $5,000- ~ NFCU LOC $1,000- ~ Target $200- ~ Kohl's $300- ~ Walmart $800- ~ Amazon $900- ~ Updated 6/2013

Discharged Ch7 Nov.16, 2012

Message 3 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

Go ahead and recon you may be blessed again and congrats on the discover

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 21
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You know! I saw that on the website. There is the excellent with 5000 pts at sign up and then the good with 2500 pts at sign up. I asked the rep which one he was putting my application in for and he told me that there was only one card and it came 5000 pts. At that point I really started to panic because those are the sign up points for the excellent card on the Barclays website and I wanted to app for the good credit version but the Rep kept telling me that there was only one version. So I digressed at that point and just authorized the pull. Smiley Indifferent So I am not optimistic.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 21
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Thanks all! You're right. I will call Barclays on Monday and see if a decision can be made and I will definitely recon if denied.
Message 6 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

i heard they have the easiest recon department to work with, so I am really interested in applying for their cards too. I've gotten by Chase's recon department successfully, and if I ever need to recon for Barclays, hopefully it's as smooth Smiley Surprised

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
I had to step out of the garden for an unexpected emergency and here are my results:

CU CC - Denied, 15 year member but burned them in BK 7 9 1/2 years ago. I paid the balance included in BK right after I filed and my card was closed. I have never been able to get a loan from them again as today I found out I am blacklisted. I plan to eventually close my account and go to a CU that I like that is closer to the house.

Barclays Rewards Card - don't know. They gave me the 30 day message. I tried the back door number but they are closed until Monday.

Then after that I said, "what the hell, might as well try one of my goal cards that I wasn't supposed to app for until September. The third card I applied for was the Discover IT...APPROVED!!! $1000 CL! And the Rep said that once I get good payment history with them, I will be eligible for increases.

So since I didn't get $2500 and the cost of the emergency is $1500, I plan to use the Cap1 Cash Rewards card ($2500 CL) for the emergency and use the Discover for every day expenses. I want $1000 extra so the card wouldn't be maxed out.

My monthly everyday spend is $1600 split across Chase ($1000 CL) and Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500 CL), now I plan to split it across Chase and Discover and use the Cap1 Cash rewards card for the emergency...that way, no cards will be near the limit. Thank you Lord! Third time is a Charm! It is so nice that Discover sends their cards express mail standard so I will get it by early next week! And it will be my new everyday card along with Chase to PIF every month to show I'm a good paying customer. I do not want to put the nonrecurring charge on a brand new card and start out not PIFing and ruin my chance of an increase. So the emergency will go on the older Cap1 card that I KNOW won't give me an increase anytime soon and it will be paid off by next March!

So folks I am back in the garden until July 2014 instead of September 2013. I already had 5 INQs before today and now I have 8 so I'm D-O-N-E! I'm so glad I didn't have to do a hardship withdrawal on my 401K.

If you are asking what made me app for the Discover card. I searched for older posts that talked about chances with Discover based on certain credit profiles and I found a guy that got approved with 1 baddie, a 6.5 year old BK, and his score was 630's with 41% Util. Thank you whoever you are for posting that! You gave me hope and I got approved!

My credit profile in case others are curious what their approval chances might be for the Discover It:

9.5 year old BK 7
1 collection for $1000 from 2009
1 auto loan paid obtained 2008 - 4 year history paying that
1 new auto lease through Acura - Nov 2012
1 new mortgage just started reporting last month
4 student loan accounts, never late, 13 years old

Current Utilization: 39%

And my credit card profile:

Orchard Bank, opened 2009, $1100 CL/Balance: $209

Cap1 Cash Rewards - opened July 2012, $2500 CL/Balance: $644, just PIFed today!

Chase Freedom - opened Jan 2013, $1000 CL/Balance: $76

Best Buy Store card - opened Feb 2013, $2500 CL/Balance: $1862

Discover It - opened TODAY!, $1000 CL/Balance: $0

Total CL: $8100

Folks! You shouldn't do what I just did. I apped until I got an approval which can be very damaging but I have the mortgage etc. now so I didn't mind the temporary drop in scores. And it was a miracle Discover approved me with all these new accounts and inquiries. Discover was my last card to try though because there was no way AMEX would approve me. So if Discover denied me i probably would have given up.

Hopefully this information helps someone else that wonders about their chances. And the Rep kept talking about how well I rebuilt my credit and that over time with good payment history, I will see increaseS not an increase. He did not even bring up the collection! With my CU, every sentence out her mouth seemed to have the word collection in it. The Discover Rep did bring up my BK but he said it is so old and about to fall off that he didn't even factor it into his decision.

The Discover It was an instant approval over the phone and I did not have to recon.

I could call Barclays on Monday to hear the verdict. But nah, I will just let them mull over it for 30 days, wait for the mail, and if I get the card, great! If not, I can still take care of my emergency.

I love you guys! I couldn't have gotten here without this forum and all of you so thank you!

Now I have to replace my bronze spade with the baby plant because I'm starting back to zero. Into the garden I go until next year! Smiley Very Happy

CONGRATS!!!

Welcome to the Discover family!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 21
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the Discover, and good luck with the Barclay's recon. And keep one thing in mind... a year's worth of gardening will do wonders for future approvals. Set your goals, work towards them, and you will get there. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 9 of 21
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Thanks again everyone. I will let you know what happens with Barclays. That is nice to hear that their recon dept is easier than Chase because like you, I had to get through the Chase recon dept and it was difficult. I hope i don't have to fax off verification papers again for Barclays. I can't wait to see how much my score will improve with a year of gardening because I have a lot of great new accounts to garden now and getting the Barclays card would be a plus. So happy! Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.