Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected TU score for my DW and her very first own credit card

tag
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Unexpected TU score for my DW and her very first own credit card

I'm impressed frankly Smiley Happy

My DW did not have her own credit at all - she spent a lot of early adulthood outside of the US, so she never actually needed to have credit here. 

After we moved to the US and I started to build my credit, I was adding her as an AU to ALL cards I've been getting.

A couple of days ago we decided that she needs to have her own very first couple of cards and I suggested that it should be Walmart (easy to get, free score) and Paypal Extras (again, backed by GE). 

She got instantly approved online for $700 Walmart and "Sorry, you are not eligible for this offer now" after applying for Paypal (they also hard pulled her, so we'll try to call and figure out why so).

But the most exciting part is her score - we signed her up for online banking and her very first TU score in her life was... 766 Man LOL

I know it might plummet now a bit with 2 new inquiries, but anyway I'm more than happy and surprised. This also gives me a kind of perspecive of what my score can look like when all my 10+ inquiries over past year will drop. Currently mine is significantly lower than hers Smiley Very Happy

Just wanted to share this, I thought she'll start with kind of mid-600s, but great that it was not the case. Being an AU rocks Smiley Happy

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unexpected TU score for my DW and her very first own credit card

Congrats to your wife thats wonderful news.

Message 2 of 5
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 3 of 5
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

BTW, just called Paypal Extras, they only needed to perform security verification, so another $700 card is now on its way. 

I wish I could have had a similar seamless start myself a year ago Smiley Wink

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 4 of 5
distantarray
Established Contributor

AU's have a very strong impact on your credit score, I'm pretty sure just as strong as your  own personal accounts even if people say otherwise. I've seen 800+ score from adding ONLY a ACM to a 30 year old Amex account.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.