Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy with Discover, Credit questions

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Unhappy with Discover, Credit questions

@Creditaddict wrote:

While it may seem like you can sit around for a sp cli with all the success people have with it, others of us (my partner and I included) could not get a dime out of Discover until we were willing to take the HP... if you won't take the hp they are asking you for to at least match your current CL's then I don't think you can expect them to give you cli just because you have some new cards that are higher.... they can be really weird and sometimes annoying but it's the credit game.

do you know which CRA they HP from for a CLI?

Message 11 of 20
rockinn8
Contributor

When you applied for the Discover card did you have any baddies?  Theres been instances on the boards where people with baddies had to wait a year before they saw any auto CLIs.  

FYI the Chase Freedom limit PROBABLY won't auto increase after 3 months...in fact some people still have their original CLs.

OP, hang in there, it will come with time, patience and responsible use.  Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ FICO 673 TU FAKO 641
Current Score: EQ FICO 740, EX FICO 748, TU FICO 722 (Discover)
Goal Score: All 730+ FICOs

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
ayeecorreia
New Contributor

no baddies at all, just INQ's.

How often does discover report? 

Thanks for the advice guys, riding it out seems like the best idea. I'll keep using it regularly, especially for the gas this summer. 

Amex Plat, Gold, BCP, EDP, Aspire, Delta Platinum,
NFCU Platinum, Cash Rewards, Amex More Rewards,
CSP, CFF,
Barclay Arrival,
BoA Cash Rewards, Travel Rewards, Alaska Airlines,
Capital One Venture
Citi Costco
Paypal MC
Best Buy
Discover
Military Star
Message 13 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ayeecorreia wrote:

no baddies at all, just INQ's.

How often does discover report? 

Thanks for the advice guys, riding it out seems like the best idea. I'll keep using it regularly, especially for the gas this summer. 

monthly

Message 14 of 20
bk510
Valued Contributor

@fargobzn wrote:

Discover still has it uses even with the Freedom like some have said they categories are not the same, plus there is shopdiscover and the Free FICO score. The card has no AF and from what I can tell Discover will give out CLIs(I've received two in 11 months) but you gotta give it some time. 

Discover likes to see usage....but I suppose who doesnt.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 15 of 20
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@bk510 wrote:

@fargobzn wrote:

Discover still has it uses even with the Freedom like some have said they categories are not the same, plus there is shopdiscover and the Free FICO score. The card has no AF and from what I can tell Discover will give out CLIs(I've received two in 11 months) but you gotta give it some time. 

Discover likes to see usage....but I suppose who doesnt.

Hope that is the case experimenting leaving balance when it reports this summer . hoping I will see some auto CLI sometime down the road 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 20
JKXX
New Contributor

Most of the other posters summed it up.

Discover is a conservative lender that likes usage. Your starting limit indicates that it was probably a borderline approval and they want to see how you do at your current limit. Discover also sees that you opened up other credit after you got their card so they would want to see how you handle those cards as well. Your FICO scores aren't high so with all these factors, they don't see a reason to give you a CLI. I would wait until you hit the 6 month mark and then try to get a 6 month CLI.

Lastly, DO NOT CLOSE THE ACCOUNT. It has ZERO AF and it stays on your CR for 10 years. It will negatively affect your AAoA for the next 10 years if you close it now. It does not hurt to keep it open and it looks bad if you close an account so soon after opening. 

Last Inq: 10/24/14. EQ: 770 (10-02-13), TU08: 797 (10-27-14), EX: ??
Chase Ink $18,500 | REI Visa $17,000 | Chase Freedom $10,000 | Discover IT $10,000 | Sallie Mae $10,000 | Amex BCE $9,000 | BOA 123 $7,500 | US Bank Cash+ $7,000 | Wells Fargo Rewards $4,900 | Walmart Discover $6,500 | Chase Amazon $1,000
Message 17 of 20
-HighScoringGame-
New Contributor

I will echo what others have said about being patient with Discover, OP. They are a conservative lender but also a great company with excellent customer service based right here in the USA. If you use your card responsibly in time the CLIs will come. That said, I do get your frustration with the toy limit they gave you. I got a limit like that once from Barclays and decided to close the card after they wouldn't increase the limit on recon. I had older, more established accounts already so didn't care how it affected anything (and in the long run it really didn't very much). It looks like you're just starting out so YMMV. It can't hurt to keep it for awhile and see what happens though. Good luck whatever you decide. I'd keep it just for the free FICO score.

Current Scores: EX 733, EQ 738, TU 738
Current Cards: Discover IT $19,000, Amex BCE $20,000, BofA Rewards Visa (AAA) $16,000, Chase Freedom Unlimited $10,000, Avenue $1,190, Lane Bryant $750

~Re-entered the Garden: July 2018
~In the Garden until: July 2019
Message 18 of 20
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

This is the one card when i was still in rebuilding phase that i apped for and shouldn't have. I think i will just put one small bill on it every month like myfico SW. I will keep my eye out on what 5% categories there are out there.

I am wondering if i can  close the account and try to reapply for it now since my credit is in an lot better shape now. I wouldn't mind taking an hit on EQ since I have an lot less inq compared to tu and ex 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice about Discover. Discover was slow with me and it took time but the added several increases equaling $4.5 over 30 months. Guess they were wanting to see me prove performance.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.