Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UnionPay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UnionPay

World's second largest credit card network after Visa. China's system but now in some 100 countries.

Which US credit cards support it?

Discover. Any others?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UnionPay

I wouldn't say that Discover issues UnionPay cards. Their thing is more of a deal to allow Discover card transactions to go over the UnionPay network in China (and vice versa in the US).

As for US banks that actually issue UnionPay cards, I don't think there are any, though I could be wrong.

Message 2 of 6
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't say that Discover issues UnionPay cards. Their thing is more of a deal to allow Discover card transactions to go over the UnionPay network in China (and vice versa in the US).

As for US banks that actually issue UnionPay cards, I don't think there are any, though I could be wrong.

It didn't say any on their website.  It did say you can use it at 90% of ATMs and 80% of merchants.  I like how it said if in doubt you can always ask the cashier.....   I think what it should have said is that if you are in doubt you can always ask the cashier to try......

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Works on the Union Pay network is what I meant. I know Discover does, wondering about others.

I am traveling in Asia this week and there are lots and lots of vendors who ONLY take UnionPay. My Amex and Visa cards are only really accepted at major hotels. Most restaurants around where I am only take cash or UnionPay.

Have been using cash everywhere but it is increasingly inconvenient as for example if I could use UnionPay I could book things online but with cash I have to go to the ticket booths, eg, for an intercity train.

It is OK, but next time I want a card I can use.

Looks like I need to add a Discover card to my wish list, but wondering about other options.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Works on the Union Pay network is what I meant. I know Discover does, wondering about others.

I am traveling in Asia this week and there are lots and lots of vendors who ONLY take UnionPay. My Amex and Visa cards are only really accepted at major hotels. Most restaurants around where I am only take cash or UnionPay.

Have been using cash everywhere but it is increasingly inconvenient as for example if I could use UnionPay I could book things online but with cash I have to go to the ticket booths, eg, for an intercity train.

It is OK, but next time I want a card I can use.

Looks like I need to add a Discover card to my wish list, but wondering about other options.

I've heard stories elsewhere about chipped Discover cards not working well in China, so you may want to keep that in mind too. Has to do with the terminals not recognizing the application on the chip and then not allowing the card to be swiped like they're supposed to. Oddly enough Square also doesn't recognize the chip on Discover cards but at least it still allows you to swipe.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, while UnionPay is Chinese, I saw it in other countries and read online that it is now the second biggest network worldwide.

So it is probably worth having a card that at least interoperates with it.

Huge win for Discover to be the only US card issuer widely accepted in China, if they are the only.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.