cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United Explorer Card - Question about earning miles

tag
lowell

United Explorer Card - Question about earning miles

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

I have Chase United Explorer card that earns 1 mile for every dollar spent.

The question is, "Am I able to use the card for purchase other than myself and still earn miles that way?"

i.e. someone wants to get a laptop shipped. they give me cash for it and I buy it for them.

The reason why I am asking is because I want to start using it but am afraid that if I max it out every month and pay it off, I will get a knock on my door asking to see how I am making all these purchases or paying all these bills when my income doesn't jive with what I am spending.

Can I tell them that I have friends and family whom I pay for stuff online and they give me cash for it?

Thanks everyone Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: United Explorer Card - Question about earning miles

You should get miles with everything, and usually double or more miles if you buy a United ticket

And as long as it is paid off every month, I don't forsee a knock on your door  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Keep in mind that many people use this card for reimbursable expenses, so their spending often exceeds what their income alone would justify. No big deal. If you are consistently carrying a large balance or you are making repeated purchases >$10k (which can trigger money laundering alerts), that may prompt queries from chase. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Keep in mind that many people use this card for reimbursable expenses, so their spending often exceeds what their income alone would justify. No big deal. If you are consistently carrying a large balance or you are making repeated purchases >$10k (which can trigger money laundering alerts), that may prompt queries from chase. 

Making repeated purchases of >$10k would not trigger a money laundering alert (unless it's charges to coinbase.com, gambling websites, etc.). If you deposit $10k+ in cash it triggers a CTR and possibly a SAR, but we're talking about credit card charges. What it may trigger is an internal Chase red flag that you're spending beyond your means.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 7
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I should have been clearer: if OP is making purchases >10k and then being paid back by others, the receipt of payment >10k from others will trigger reporting under patriot act or BSA. Probably moot, since I don't think OP is talking about this level of purchase.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

All type of activities that go beyond your stated income could lead to AA/FR

And since you couldn't supply tax statements from the type of transactions you referring to it would be risky

IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 7
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

I don't think you'd get into any trouble if it's something that you do every once and a while and your income can support that type of spending.

I've purchased airline tickets and things like that with my cards for family members and haven't been in any trouble. But it's just every once in a while when they travel somewhere and my income can support that type of spending.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.