Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United Mileage Plus 50,000 offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

United Mileage Plus 50,000 offer

Had a United flight a few weeks ago so signed up for their miles program. Usually fly United/Jetblue, don't fly that often, but im looking to travel more in future. In any case, got email of them offering me a 50K offer for it. I was planning to app for the Marriott Rewards card to pair that with my Arrival+ as I already have close to 100K Marriott points.

Is the United card any good?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: United Mileage Plus 50,000 offer

Had my card for almost a year now, going to get rid of it when AF is due and move the CL over to my Hyatt. I got the card with 35k miles back when, flew international twice per year but not anymore so I have no use for the card. I fly Southwest locally exclusively so I am keeing that. 

50k is a nice signup plus 2 checked bags and 2 club passes annually. That's about it. 

edit: oh...primary rental insurance is a huge plus.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm still going to pass on it and go with Marriott.

The card seems pointless. You get United club once. The only thing which is a continuous benefit is priority boarding which makes no difference to me. You don't even get like 3x or 5x the points when booking like other cards do. I would never use it.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too cancelled (well, switched to a no-fee version) when the AF hit. I was denied priority boarding on a NY-Chicago flight when traveling with two kids under the age of three, despite booking with the card. That United had the balls to act like saints for bringing back priority boarding for families with small children is appalling - it should have never been removed in the first place! United is truly a terrible airline, but they are a Chase partner and I can book reward flights on ANA through them. Anyway, the benefits aren't that great and having a no-AF version to product change to sealed the deal.
Message 4 of 5
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

United miles can still be redeemed for international partner awards (particularly in premium cabins) at a reasonable rate and not much cash out of pocket.  Star Alliance partners typically avoid surcharge heavy LHR routing unlike One-World (AA).  Last summer I redeemed ATH-LAX one-way in Aegean and Lufthansa Business cabin for 70k + $100 or so. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.