Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United MileagePlus® Explorer Card check 1st bag free question

tag
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

United MileagePlus® Explorer Card check 1st bag free question

I am thinking about getting this card because I want to rack up points for my annually international fly. Usually if I purchased a ticket from those compared price websites, United airline would be the cheapest (sometimes american airline), not sure the price directly from purchasing from united website, but anyways, I wonder it says first bag check free. International flight will include checking one bag free anyways, so does that mean I get to check two bag free? or not? because only the first free regardless of its being included in the ticket already?

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: United MileagePlus® Explorer Card check 1st bag free question

Doesnt United waive the first two international bag charges?
Message 2 of 17
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

I am thinking about getting this card because I want to rack up points for my annually international fly. Usually if I purchased a ticket from those compared price websites, United airline would be the cheapest (sometimes american airline), not sure the price directly from purchasing from united website, but anyways, I wonder it says first bag check free. International flight will include checking one bag free anyways, so does that mean I get to check two bag free? or not? because only the first free regardless of its being included in the ticket already?

If you are a general member flying in coach, you will only get the first bag free on an international journey.  Thereafter, you will pay $100 for the second bag regardless of having the United Explorer card or not. 

Message 3 of 17
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Doesnt United waive the first two international bag charges?

seems like that a couple years ago. but no longer waive 2, only 1 i think

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 4 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Strange, I typed in LAX-NRT and it says up to 2 bags free:
https://mobile.united.com/BagFee/AnyFlightBagFee?GUID=1025466d-8334-4947-acc8-d27132914ce1
Message 5 of 17
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

See if you can access this link directly.  It will take you to a baggage charge calculator for United.  If not, go to united.com and then under Latest News and Offers, click changed bag rules and optional services link.  You will find the baggage calculator towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/changedbagrulesoptionalservices.aspx?v_ctrk=hhln%240-20...

Message 6 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I found your answer to international bag fees related to the Mileage Plus Explorer card as well. You don't get additional bags for free (under T&C, number 6.):

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/chasebag.aspx
Message 7 of 17
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Strange, I typed in LAX-NRT and it says up to 2 bags free:
https://mobile.united.com/BagFee/AnyFlightBagFee?GUID=1025466d-8334-4947-acc8-d27132914ce1

Forgot about that caveat - for some destinations, you do get a second bag free.  But for Europe, Asia - it is mostly 1 bag.  The best bet is to use United's new baggage calculator.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/changedbagrulesoptionalservices.aspx?v_ctrk=hhln%240-20...

Message 8 of 17
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Truegemini, I only tried Japan where there is clearly stiffer competition!
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Christina_xyt wrote:

Note that just because United has the cheapest cash fares does not mean that it will have the lowest price in miles. How many miles you'll need for your annual trip depends on the award chart of the airline. 

What is your actual itinerary? 

And yeah, one checked bag per person on international flights when flying coach on pretty much all non-southwest airlines. Cards don't matter here. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.