@JAY305 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JAY305 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JAY305 wrote:

I continually receive promotions to sign up for the United MileagePlus card (50K miles).  I have Premier status on United however I am very cost concious with no loyalty to a single airline.  

What are the advatanges of the United MileagePlus card vs. AMEX PRG.  I primarily use my AMEX PRG card considering the flexibility to redeem for hotels, airlines, gift cards, etc. 

Thoughts?

PRG Is a pretty good card. Though 50k miles on a UMP is pretty nice.

Well PRG has the benefit of gas groceries and travel bonus categories. United Mileage plus has the benefit of much lower AF after the first year. 

But with the UMP comes loyalty to one airline and being subject to inflation/deflation of point value.

Just another thing to consider PRG has one signup bonus per life time. Also have to keep in mind that UMP can be used for all star alliance partners which are twenty something airlines. Just playing devils advocate here. I would pick an MR UR or SPG card over almost all airline cards in general tho. The only one that i would consider is Alaska Air CC , they have some really nice partners and low award travel transfer rates. 

The AMEX PRG card also includes a host of airlines.  Again, I am very cost consious so I have no loyalty to no airline.  lol.  Lastly, I haven't really gotten into applying for cards just to take advantage of a sign-on bonus.  I want a card that will continue to provide value well after the sign-up bonus.  

Then the PRG/EDP might be your best combo here.

Agree - it appears most people sign up for the MileagePlus card only for the bonus miles.  I receive markting promotions from United every few weeks to sign up for the card and this is the first time I really considered it.  I suppose I will stick with the PRG that offers a lot more flexibility.

For me I like EDP over PRG, Only thing prg has over edp is the travel categories. For me I am going to try and do an CSP+EDP for all purchases. EDP gas groceries and regular spending. CSP for travel, dining and UR mall. 

To maximize earning potential maybe I should consider the combination of the PRG and EDP.  Thanks.

Message 11 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: United MileagePlus vs. AMEX PRG

That United offer continuously fluctuates from 30-50k every year.  Delta just bumped MQD and it's possible United will follow.  Someone else said it not too long ago but going for these airline cards is becoming more and more useless with the non-stop (pun intended) race to the bottom.  Yeah I would probably go with a simple EDP card.  Unless you find some crazy PRG bonus floating around, I wouldn't even bother with PRG.  You're clearly in this for the long haul with the card you choose.  EDP is your best option.

Message 12 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@JAY305 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@JAY305 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JAY305 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@JAY305 wrote:

I continually receive promotions to sign up for the United MileagePlus card (50K miles).  I have Premier status on United however I am very cost concious with no loyalty to a single airline.  

What are the advatanges of the United MileagePlus card vs. AMEX PRG.  I primarily use my AMEX PRG card considering the flexibility to redeem for hotels, airlines, gift cards, etc. 

Thoughts?

PRG Is a pretty good card. Though 50k miles on a UMP is pretty nice.

Well PRG has the benefit of gas groceries and travel bonus categories. United Mileage plus has the benefit of much lower AF after the first year. 

But with the UMP comes loyalty to one airline and being subject to inflation/deflation of point value.

Just another thing to consider PRG has one signup bonus per life time. Also have to keep in mind that UMP can be used for all star alliance partners which are twenty something airlines. Just playing devils advocate here. I would pick an MR UR or SPG card over almost all airline cards in general tho. The only one that i would consider is Alaska Air CC , they have some really nice partners and low award travel transfer rates. 

The AMEX PRG card also includes a host of airlines.  Again, I am very cost consious so I have no loyalty to no airline.  lol.  Lastly, I haven't really gotten into applying for cards just to take advantage of a sign-on bonus.  I want a card that will continue to provide value well after the sign-up bonus.  

Then the PRG/EDP might be your best combo here.

Agree - it appears most people sign up for the MileagePlus card only for the bonus miles.  I receive markting promotions from United every few weeks to sign up for the card and this is the first time I really considered it.  I suppose I will stick with the PRG that offers a lot more flexibility.

For me I like EDP over PRG, Only thing prg has over edp is the travel categories. For me I am going to try and do an CSP+EDP for all purchases. EDP gas groceries and regular spending. CSP for travel, dining and UR mall. 

To maximize earning potential maybe I should consider the combination of the PRG and EDP.  Thanks.

PRG and EDP kind of over lap with gas and groceries, so it can be quite expensive with almost 300 AF for both cards. The only thing differentiates PRG and EDP for most people is travel category, that is why i have CSP for travel and no FTF. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:

That United offer continuously fluctuates from 30-50k every year.  Delta just bumped MQD and it's possible United will follow.  Someone else said it not too long ago but going for these airline cards is becoming more and more useless with the non-stop (pun intended) race to the bottom.  Yeah I would probably go with a simple EDP card.  Unless you find some crazy PRG bonus floating around, I wouldn't even bother with PRG.  You're clearly in this for the long haul with the card you choose.  EDP is your best option.

I really think CSP+EDP combo is good for most peoople. You have access to both UR and MR programs and it can cover almost all purchases. Gas, Groceries, dining, and travel. That doesn't even take into account 50% bonus for hitting 30 swipes which i don't think is that difficult imo. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@B335is wrote:

I really think CSP+EDP combo is good for most peoople. You have access to both UR and MR programs and it can cover almost all purchases. Gas, Groceries, dining, and travel. That doesn't even take into account 50% bonus for hitting 30 swipes which i don't think is that difficult imo. 

And with a combined AF of only $5 more than just the PRG.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.